• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of Mum and Dad 'feels the pinch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ruined their street cred
    That's it in a nutshell. No one will 'laugh' at them for having a £50 smart phone (if you think they need one), or a pair of trainers for training in (note I had to buy my own out of paper round money, could not afford spikes for running but still had the school record for Hurdles).

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      No and probably part of the reason most of us went contracting. It's just a tricky balance between spoiling them and spoiling them too much that they become expectant of the spoiling and a bit of a label snob.
      Well interestingly enough this weekend we went to a family bbq - the kids were fine and not naughty - but spent most of the time on their phones with ear phones in and were not so interactive!

Kind of pissed me off a bit as we do not get together as a family that often but it is not like they were bad - would I have been as bothered if they had sat quietly in a corner reading a book?

As you say it's that tricky balance

suppose next weekend we are going camping which is anything but posh soooo....

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Hmm - i agree and I don't - if you look at the way me or my parents were raised there was a lot of poverty and casual violence was used to 'solve' a number of problems.

Should we go back to the days if capital punishment to ensure kids do what they are told?

However the world has moved on and you cannot raise your children like that - and the problem is if you do have money - do you deny your kids the finer things in life? - yes you can make them earn it but not in a way I had to earn money when I was young.

So yeah tell you what - dump your iPhones, gym membership, hipster do's, tat's, regular mochachocochino's from that trendy italian coffee shop, golf gti on pcp, regular holidays etc

and then come back and tell me you have no money.
        We were evicted from our hole in the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          We were evicted from our hole in the road.
          Hole in the road?

Luxury.

Comment

Sheesh you guys don't half moan much.

Moan this, phone that, hole this, capital punishment that.

It's like an episode of EastEnders every day here on CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Common trait of losers.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Moan this, phone that, hole this, capital punishment that.

It's like an episode of EastEnders every day here on CUK.
                It never used to be this bad

You know it's heading downhill when the likes of "sasguru" and "Old Greg" think they're top of the heap!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

You know it's heading downhill when the likes of "sasguru" and "Old Greg" think they're top of the heap!
                  As ever it's relative
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    As ever it's relative
                    So were your parents, which explains so much.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Well interestingly enough this weekend we went to a family bbq - the kids were fine and not naughty - but spent most of the time on their phones with ear phones in and were not so interactive!

Kind of pissed me off a bit as we do not get together as a family that often but it is not like they were bad - would I have been as bothered if they had sat quietly in a corner reading a book?

As you say it's that tricky balance

suppose next weekend we are going camping which is anything but posh soooo....
                      We had family round for a barbecue, and the kids (all younger without their own phones) were asking for our ipads or their handheld games consoles. We said no, play in the garden. They moaned a little, but accepted it.

I can imagine it will become harder when they are older and we relent and get them their own phones.

Interesting point about reading books too.

Comment

Working...
                      X