• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of Mum and Dad 'feels the pinch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't they just invest their bitcoin profits? Or was that all spent on gender realignment therapy?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      We had family round for a barbecue, and the kids (all younger without their own phones) were asking for our ipads or their handheld games consoles. We said no, play in the garden. They moaned a little, but accepted it.

I can imagine it will become harder when they are older and we relent and get them their own phones.

Interesting point about reading books too.
      yup especially to the older generation -

bloody kids always on their bloody phones v's ooh isn't little Billy good for sitting in a corner quietly reading a book.

Also I know one of the kids was reading books on her phone soooo..

Comment

Here is my evidence that there's a recession coming:

1. The baby boomers were born from about 1945 onwards. The average life expectancy is 85 so they'll typically die off from 2030. Some will go earlier, some later, but we're probably on the rise of the bell curve right now.
        Won't we then see a rush of granny's properties entering the market as the boomers start to, er, boom? And won't this rush of properties cause an oversupply?

2. In the 1970s there was a recession. Then the Thatcher recession followed by the Lawson boom. A decade later, the Major/Lamont 1990 recession. The bursting of the dotcom bubble a decade later. Then the credit crunch about 8 years later. That alone means that a recession is due. It's cyclical.

3. Everyone (well not literally every single person) I meet is going on holiday to Japan, or Mauritius, or Acapulco or to see orang-utans tulipting from trees in Borneo. No-one is going to Benidorm for a week.

4. I've got the tuliptiest car in the car park.

5. Everyone is getting extensions, to both hair and houses.

QED.

Comment

Originally posted by HugeWhale View Post
          Here is my evidence that there's a recession coming:

1. The baby boomers were born from about 1945 onwards. The average life expectancy is 85 so they'll typically die off from 2030. Some will go earlier, some later, but we're probably on the rise of the bell curve right now.
          Won't we then see a rush of granny's properties entering the market as the boomers start to, er, boom? And won't this rush of properties cause an oversupply?

2. In the 1970s there was a recession. Then the Thatcher recession followed by the Lawson boom. A decade later, the Major/Lamont 1990 recession. The bursting of the dotcom bubble a decade later. Then the credit crunch about 8 years later. That alone means that a recession is due. It's cyclical.

3. Everyone (well not literally every single person) I meet is going on holiday to Japan, or Mauritius, or Acapulco or to see orang-utans tulipting from trees in Borneo. No-one is going to Benidorm for a week.

QED.
          Have you considered applying for Harvard?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Have you considered applying for Harvard?
            Not sure a Professorship is right for me at the moment.

Comment

Not sure a Professorship is right for me at the moment.
              I concur.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Not everyone. I've not been on safari for 2 years.

Someone has to. It's not going to be me, so it could be you.

No we're not. House is about 200 years old, in a conservation area. Any erections that go up around here require about 6 months of planning and consent and cost an absolute fortune.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Not everyone. I've not been on safari for 2 years.

Someone has to. It's not going to be me, so it could be you.

No we're not. House is about 200 years old, in a conservation area. Any erections that go up around here require about 6 months of planning and consent and cost an absolute fortune.
                  Have you spoken to a sympathetic GP?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Have you spoken to a sympathetic GP?
                    No, my wife.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      No, my wife.
                      Is she disappointed but understanding?

Comment

Working...