• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of Mum and Dad 'feels the pinch'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank of Mum and Dad 'feels the pinch'

Dig up the grandparents! What good are they lying around not buying property for their poor grandchildren?!

Surely this will be the last stop before the property market hit the buffers big time. The money must be running out if mum and dad are feeling the pinch.

Government's Help to Buy housing scheme increasingly benefiting higher earners

Parents are parting with thousands of pounds to help their children get on the property ladder, but they can't afford to lend as much as they used to.

The average parental contribution for home buyers this year will be £18,000, down 17% from last year's £21,600, according to Legal & General (L&G).

The drop shows that parents are "feeling the pinch", the firm says.

Nonetheless, more than one in four buyers are still expected to receive financial help from friends or family.

In total, financial services firm L&G said 27% of home buyers would get assistance - up from 25% last year.

Despite the smaller sums being loaned, L&G said the so-called Bank of Mum and Dad was still "a prime mover" in the UK housing market.

'My parents had put aside money to gift me'

Francesca Hunt, from London, was given between £20,000 and £30,000 (she does not want to say the exact amount) by her parents last year to help her buy a house.

She had enough money by herself for a deposit on a one-bed flat, but her parents thought a two-bedroom flat was a better investment.

"My parents decided that the price difference from a one to a two bed isn't, in the grand scheme of things, too much more," she says.

Francesca said her parents had already put aside money to gift her at some point.

"If not, I would have inherited the money anyway. Better to use it now to get on the property ladder before prices go up even further," she says.

The money her parents provided was "gifted" and Francesca says they don't own any of her flat as a result of their investment.

L&G said almost 317,000 housing transactions this year would rely on at least some parental help.

However, overall lending was expected to drop to £5.7bn this year from £6.5bn in 2017.

Number of middle-aged renters doubles
    How many £1m-plus homes are sold near you?
    Could the Bank of Mum and Dad lend to other people's children?
    Where buyers live also has a big impact on how much they rely on their parents for help. In London, the average parental contribution is £31,000 compared with £11,000 in Scotland.
    source: Bank of Mum and Dad 'feels the pinch' - BBC News
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Dig up the grandparents! What good are they lying around not buying property for their poor grandchildren?!

Surely this will be the last stop before the property market hit the buffers big time. The money must be running out if mum and dad are feeling the pinch.

Maybe now millennials will realise that bank of mum n dad is not a bottomless pit and start saving money to pay for their own tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Maybe now millennials will realise that bank of mum n dad is not a bottomless pit and start saving money to pay for their own tulip.
      And maybe if their parents weren't so greedy and had bothered to raise their children better, rather than just throwing money at them instead of investing time and effort, then the children of said parents wouldn't have turned out as bad as they have.

...but hey, blame the kids, there's no way it could have anything to do with the parents.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Won't be long before there's more formal inter-generational debt available. Mortgages you can hand down to your kids after paying them until you croak. There's already such a thing elsewhere in the world and there's talk of allowing pensioners to get a mortgage on their guaranteed pension income.

Be quick and you can bag a country mansion for your future generations with enough space to house your extended family. Then hand it down along with the outstanding debt. You can charge them rent in the meantime. The new way of becoming landed gentry.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          And maybe if their parents weren't so greedy and had bothered to raise their children better, rather than just throwing money at them instead of investing time and effort, then the children of said parents wouldn't have turned out as bad as they have.

...but hey, blame the kids, there's no way it could have anything to do with the parents.
          Hmm - i agree and I don't - if you look at the way me or my parents were raised there was a lot of poverty and casual violence was used to 'solve' a number of problems.

Should we go back to the days if capital punishment to ensure kids do what they are told?

However the world has moved on and you cannot raise your children like that - and the problem is if you do have money - do you deny your kids the finer things in life? - yes you can make them earn it but not in a way I had to earn money when I was young.

So yeah tell you what - dump your iPhones, gym membership, hipster do's, tat's, regular mochachocochino's from that trendy italian coffee shop, golf gti on pcp, regular holidays etc

and then come back and tell me you have no money.

Comment

Hmm - i agree and I don't - if you look at the way me or my parents were raised there was a lot of poverty and casual violence was used to 'solve' a number of problems.

Should we go back to the days if capital punishment to ensure kids do what they are told?

However the world has moved on and you cannot raise your children like that - and the problem is if you do have money - do you deny your kids the finer things in life? - yes you can make them earn it but not in a way I had to earn money when I was young.

So yeah tell you what - dump your iPhones, gym membership, hipster do's, tat's, regular mochachocochino's from that trendy italian coffee shop, golf gti on pcp, regular holidays etc

and then come back and tell me you have no money.
            Bit harsh, surely corporal punishment would suffice for schoolkids?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Touched a nerve there OPM.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                No, I think capital would be fine. When I was growing up in the 1970s it might have reduced the number of people who became parents in the 80s/90s who are now whining about their kids.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Yeah that was probably the one I was looking for.... or maybe not.

But on the same note - kids have just finished exams and it is also 'upgrade time' for mobile phones

the youngest ended up with a iPhone 6s and the eldest a 7 - although we only pay £20 per month for their contract so they paid the upfront cost and the extra per month charge.

Thing is should I have just got them flip phone with a cheap pay as you go sim??

which obviously would have ruined their street cred but maybe would have been better.

thing is when I was young I never had anything - adidas 4 stripe wannabe trainers, a not quite bmx, not a 48k spectrum etc etc

so want to give my kids some nice things

is that so bad?

Comment

Yeah that was probably the one I was looking for.... or maybe not.

But on the same note - kids have just finished exams and it is also 'upgrade time' for mobile phones

the youngest ended up with a iPhone 6s and the eldest a 7 - although we only pay £20 per month for their contract so they paid the upfront cost and the extra per month charge.

Thing is should I have just got them flip phone with a cheap pay as you go sim??

which obviously would have ruined their street cred but maybe would have been better.

thing is when I was young I never had anything - adidas 4 stripe wannabe trainers, a not quite bmx, not a 48k spectrum etc etc

so want to give my kids some nice things

is that so bad?
                    No and probably part of the reason most of us went contracting. It's just a tricky balance between spoiling them and spoiling them too much that they become expectant of the spoiling and a bit of a label snob.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X