• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The EU and posted workers rights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Who's going to be the first to mention the Nazis? :nazi:
    That would be you.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      So all those migrant workers doing jobs that British workers could be doing are actually being paid less than the minimum wage?
      Heard of modern day slavery? Car washes, massage parlours and nail bars are those in plain sight.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Heard of modern day slavery? Car washes, massage parlours and nail bars are those in plain sight.
        feel the enrichment!

Yep and asking them if they are here legally is unfair and creating a hostile environment (if you are Labour who invented the phrase.)

I wonder if those that use the car washes, nail bars and prostitutes are as guilty as those who get some coke for the weekend?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          The EU Parliament debating this as we speak.

Basically they are protecting workers from companies undercutting them by bringing in-sourced cheaper workers.

(This is going to make some heads spin! )

https://euobserver.com/social/137356
          And how are they going to get round the "free movement of labour" question? It's the only reason big business supports being in the EU, they can get cheap staff and plenty of them. All this is going to do is piss off the Eastern Europeans, that's their USP gone for a burton.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Do I look like I use massage parlours and nail bars?

(I have a horrible feeling I'm going to really regret posting that question)...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              And how are they going to get round the "free movement of labour" question? It's the only reason big business supports being in the EU, they can get cheap staff and plenty of them. All this is going to do is piss off the Eastern Europeans, that's their USP gone for a burton.
              Well,
              a) it’s for posted workers, not casual migrants
              b) in most EU countries “free movement” is actually quite restricted already in terms of having work, being able to claim benefits, etc. Another restriction is not much really in the scheme of things.
              c) the Eastern European workers that are being posted to other EU countries will be the ones to benefit the most, as their company will now have to match wages.

Comment

Indeed even more so now

https://www.ft.com/content/c35f032a-...2-9563a0613e56

Comment

Do I look like I use massage parlours and nail bars?

(I have a horrible feeling I'm going to really regret posting that question)...
                  Ummmm.....

[emoji6]

Comment

Ask Mrs May - the longest serving Secretary of state for the Home Office in over 60 years.

Comment

You need to check out Germany where employers are not allowed to take on staff at below agreed sector wages.

Why do you think wages are rising in Germany ? in fact they're rising at record rates, in spite of an "unlimited" supply of cheap labour.

Wages will rise according to productivity and it doesn't matter how much "cheap Labour" you have access to.

Just because you're in the EU doesn't mean you have to treat people like "tulipe".

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X