• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a company website a few years back, does get more hits when i'm on the market for a contract. It's a bit old fashioned now, so yep if you go down that route you need to keep it updated.

Regardless if its linkedin or your company website, testimonials are good.

Comment

Make sure it's got lots of pictures of gladiators and step by step instructions how to bleed radiators and you'll be golden.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fahbb View Post
        I was a web developer and able to make great website. In 2018 I don't really think you need to be a web developer to build a cool website! As you said with Wordpress you get outstanding results.
        I am sure it's quite difficult to build a consulting company, but I also believe (as usual) the worst part is the beginning. That's part of every new game. I would like to put in the fields of expertise. In my case the industry is Financial Services and the field of expertise would be Data architecture, data migration, system integration, compliance and Digital.
        What do you think? Would you separate it in this way or differently?

Thanks for any help
        F
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You need a business model first. Website comes last. Doesn't sound to me like you know what you are selling to then put it in a website. The fact you are thinking a website is the way to start a consultancy makes me think you need to do a bit more research. Classic thinking we see quite a bit on here.

I'm guessing you are just looking at shipping bodies in to a client so the other thing nearly every contractor tried to do at the beginning and that's take a piece of the agents action under the guise of a micro consultancy.
        Pretty much what NLUK has said here. Content is king, no matter how slick a website looks unless you're selling web design.

There's always a current flavour in the financial services game, be it Basel regs, SACCR, BCBS239, GDPR, whatever. If you're able to keep your site up to date like that then you are moving towards a potential for demonstrating flexibility and following trends as a boutique FS consultancy. As NLUK said, though, that's where many of us aspired to but found the harsh reality to be somewhat different - banks generally want individual contractors or large consultancies unless it's something really niche.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You need a business model first. Website comes last. Doesn't sound to me like you know what you are selling to then put it in a website. The fact you are thinking a website is the way to start a consultancy makes me think you need to do a bit more research. Classic thinking we see quite a bit on here.

I'm guessing you are just looking at shipping bodies in to a client so the other thing nearly every contractor tried to do at the beginning and that's take a piece of the agents action under the guise of a micro consultancy.
          The main goal of the website would be to sell my skills and experience far better than a cv would do. Like this I will also start to test my website as when I want to build my own company I have already got feedbacks I could use for my business.
          Then I agree with you, you need a business model for that and this is the first thing I need. But now I am not building my own company I am just trying to define a good navigation map for my website.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            I get about one inquiry a year through my website. Far more so through my LinkedIn profile.

I have a website / domain so that I have a nice professional email address and to accentuate the businesses of my business.
            Yes, I expect that. But I do believe if your cv is interesting and you do have a cool website explaining well who you are, your skills, experience etc.. it makes the difference. And it's not only about the content, but how you present the content.
            Would be possible for you to share yours? Don't need to do that if you don't feel to.

Thanks a lot for your time anyway

Comment

Bear in mind it might also constrict you in as much as you will have to be careful tailoring your CV for roles. If the CV and website don't match its going to raise questions.

Also think about your audience. Most hiring managers still work with CVs and interviews so a website isn't likely to help them.

Sounds to me. You've already made your mind up and have fallen in love with the idea so why not just get on with it?

Comment

Bear in mind it might also constrict you in as much as you will have to be careful tailoring your CV for roles. If the CV and website don't match its going to raise questions.

Also think about your audience. Most hiring managers still work with CVs and interviews so a website isn't likely to help them.

Sounds to me. You've already made your mind up and have fallen in love with the idea so why not just get on with it?
                All your comments are very precious for me, as this s the reason I wrote here. What you say about tailoring cv while keeping consistency with the website is really true.
                Yeah I will definetely get on with it. I thought there could be more people having website. it seems is not so common, maybe it's just not needed, or maybe it will add more value to the cv. I will figure it out. thank you all

Comment

If it really added so much value more people would have them.. HTH

Comment

Because people as so clever!

Comment

nah.. don't really believe about this lol

Comment

Working...
                      X