• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBQ - Gas or Charcoal ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I'm sure this used to be a contractor forum.

Get yourself one of these.

https://www.biggreenegg.eu/en/
    Does your hipster beard not burn when you open he lid?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

15Kgs of Charcoal / Briquettes per week in ScruffLand® - March to end October

Weber MasterTouch GBS.

Weber Chimney Starter

Just me and Mrs Scruff (usually). We braai A LOT.
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Does your hipster beard not burn when you open he lid?
        Worth it If you can fit a decent amount of gammon over the flames.

Comment

Gas or disposable if all you want to do is burn some sausages and burgers. Charcoal for every thing else.

We've got a Landmann with a separate firebox for smoking and it's excellent. This was the results of the first attempt at smoking a shoulder of pork from couple of weeks ago. Not perfect but tasted great and lessons learned for the next one

Last edited by DaveB; 31 May 2018, 13:20.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            New BBQ time.

Gas is easier to keep clean but Charcoal tastes better

mmmmm ...not sure

Any good suggestions?
            Charcoal every time, these guys are good and does make a difference to the taste.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GREEN-PREMI...6QKM9CD3Q8GC4Y

Comment

A Gas barbecue is a freaking cooker.

Comment

If it's being used just for parties and the odd good day (so maybe 5-6 days a year), then go charcoal.

If you use it as an outdoor kitchen and regularly cook on it - maybe 20+ days a year, then I'd say go with gas.

And if you've got the room, you do both - get a fire pit which you can cook on to use as well as a gas BBQ.
                Originally posted by original PM View Post
                If you use it 5 or 6 days a year go disposable....
                WTS. You can of course make a proper place to keep the disposable but they work well.

I'd like to get a brick built one one day, though the option of cutting an oil drum in half is quite appealing
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  A Gas barbecue is a freaking cooker.
                  Kinda what I said earlier...

If it's being used just for parties and the odd good day (so maybe 5-6 days a year), then go charcoal.

If you use it as an outdoor kitchen and regularly cook on it - maybe 20+ days a year, then I'd say go with gas.

And if you've got the room, you do both - get a fire pit which you can cook on to use as well as a gas BBQ.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    Disposable all the way.
                    Having used a couple for the first time in a park, I'm inclined to agree. Very convenient and last for ages. However, at home I have a smoker that looks like a steam engine.

It has a little bucket at the end to catch the fat. Which MF buys off me for his own consumption.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      I'm sure this used to be a contractor forum.

Get yourself one of these.

https://www.biggreenegg.eu/en/
                      Could not agree more.

They really are amazingly versatile - for low and slow cooks, grilling, smoking, pizzas etc. IMO theres no single option on the market which beats it at all of these things.

Surprisingly easy to light and control the temperature. I've had mine run 14 hours on a slow smoke on a single load.

The last 2 Christmas turkeys have been amazing.

It should last you a lifetime - easy.

I wouldn't live without one anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X