• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only man on short list appointed to male dominated monetary committee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    More upset about the conversation around it. Best person for the job got selected by a panel of mostly women and there is lots of complaining.

Imaging if the panel that selected him had been mostly men!
    And that post sums it up! We as men have to explain things to a woman that they should intuitively understand!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

The solution is gender neutral job applications and interviews. Age neutral too so those that need to work into old age don't get discriminated against.

Would mean using a third party such as a recruitment agency to receive the applications and remove sensitive information before passing on to the company offering the job. Interview would be done remotely over phone with voice distortion seen in movies so can't easily identify gender by pitch of voice.

Sorted.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
        The solution is gender neutral job applications and interviews. Age neutral too so those that need to work into old age don't get discriminated against.

Would mean using a third party such as a recruitment agency to receive the applications and remove sensitive information before passing on to the company offering the job. Interview would be done remotely over phone with voice distortion seen in movies so can't easily identify gender by pitch of voice.

Sorted.
        Nope, the solution is more simple.

Women, work harder, become more competitive and then you're welcome to join us on the playing field!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Women, work harder, become more competitive and then you're welcome to join us on the playing field!
          Go **** yourself.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Go **** yourself.
            Why?
            I'm married, I have a wife for that kind of entertainment.

Comment

Well to be fair, to achieve a certain level of success you have to be extremely dedicated to the exclusion of almost everything else. Most women and men don't have that extreme and probably unhealthy drive.

The problem I have is with the conversation around this...if the panel that had selected this man had also been mostly men then there would have been a huge fuss. I would hate to be in a position of choosing someone.

Comment

Well to be fair, to achieve a certain level of success you have to be extremely dedicated to the exclusion of almost everything else. Most women and men don't have that extreme and probably unhealthy drive.

The problem I have is with the conversation around this...if the panel that had selected this man had also been mostly men then there would have been a huge fuss. I would hate to be in a position of choosing someone.
                Why? Just choose the right person for the job!
                (Be prepared to justify the decision making process though...)

Comment

Why? Just choose the right person for the job!
                  (Be prepared to justify the decision making process though...)
                  That's the point I'm trying to make. It's no longer a case of picking the right person for the job, especially if its a public organisation or anything that can be affected by negative publicity.

So in this case, if the panel that selected a man for the committee had been mostly men, I imagine by now there would have been a public apology and a reassessment of the selection process.

Comment

That's the point I'm trying to make. It's no longer a case of picking the right person for the job, especially if its a public organisation or anything that can be affected by negative publicity.

So in this case, if the panel that selected a man for the committee had been mostly men, I imagine by now there would have been a public apology and a reassessment of the selection process.
                    I'm not in disagreement but do you not think we(as men) should have more backbone? The bollocks to (assuming a majority male selection board) turn round and say "the selected candidate is the best person from the supplied list for the job and we refuse to dilute the quality of our organisation by not selecting the best person just to tick a box on a diversity questionnaire!".

Z - In "Diversity doesn't always enrich, it can dilute!" mode.

Comment

I'm not in disagreement but do you not think we(as men) should have more backbone? The bollocks to (assuming a majority male selection board) turn round and say "the selected candidate is the best person from the supplied list for the job and we refuse to dilute the quality of our organisation by not selecting the best person just to tick a box on a diversity questionnaire!".

Z - In "Diversity doesn't always enrich, it can dilute!" mode.
                      I think the best person should always be chosen, don't care for quotas. But if you a white male, within the Bank Of England say, and you may lose your job, fantastic pension and bonus because of bad publicity then I guess you would think twice.

Comment

Working...
                      X