• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only man on short list appointed to male dominated monetary committee

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only man on short list appointed to male dominated monetary committee

Can't believe how sexist this, apparently the only man on a short list of 5 candidates was chosen to be on the committee.

The female dominated panel that selected him thought he was the best person for the job, jeesh.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-of-candidates
    Last edited by woohoo; 31 May 2018, 15:29.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Can't believe how sexist this, apparently the only man on a short list of 5 candidates was chosen to be on the committee.

The female dominated panel that selected him thought he was the best person for the job, jeesh.

Just saw the BBC article on this:

The department insisted it was "committed to diversity and encouraging the broadest range of candidates".

It had "actively contacted" 44 women and 43 men to apply for the role.

Of those, 19 men and eight women applied and four women and one man were shortlisted. It also pointed out that two of the three people on the interview panel were women.

"The final appointment decision was based on merit," it said.
    Looks like they tried very hard to get a suitable woman (discriminate against men) for the role but went in the end on merit rather than diversity quota.

Which is a good thing - we don't want 'token' people in important roles who are there based on anything other than suitability and experience.

"The profession is going to have to think seriously about attracting a more diverse range of people - and projecting a broader image - otherwise it is in danger of being seen as a subject that is by men and for men."
    No - a 'more diverse range of people' are going to have to change themselves and become interested in the profession if they want more representation.

How would you feel being operated on by a doctor who had got the job because they were a token whatever to meet a diversity quota?
    Last edited by Jog On; 31 May 2018, 15:46.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

What made me laugh was on of the quotes from the equality spokesperson from so and so. Austerity affects women more than men, therefore we need more women on the monetary committee, nuts.

Comment

we can only decide based on female genitalia, its only fair!

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

That sums up the BOE policy of "positive discrimination". About 15 years ago I applied for a contract at the BOA. They insisted on noting my ethnicity of which I complied but my application was immediately rejected. This was strange because because I had the ideal skills match. I complained and they sent a reply by email stating that they will only take on black contractors because they need to increase their overall diversity percentage.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Lol @ CUK - men upset about being discriminated against because a man got appointed to the monetary committee.

Have a to make you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              we can only decide based on female genitalia, its only fair!

Don't be silly. A woman is a woman if she identifies as a woman, even if she has a full unambiguous set of male genitalia and a beard.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Don't be silly. A woman is a woman if she identifies as a woman, even if she has a full unambiguous set of male genitalia and a beard.
                You've been looking at my webcam again.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Lol @ CUK - men upset about being discriminated against because a man got appointed to the monetary committee.

I hope he only gets paid as much as a woman would for doing the job!
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

More upset about the conversation around it. Best person for the job got selected by a panel of mostly women and there is lots of complaining.

Imagine if the panel that selected him had been mostly men!
                    Last edited by woohoo; 1 June 2018, 10:05.

Comment

Working...
                    X