• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stock exchange down this morning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Next, mark my words, Network Rail systems will crash. When that happens, the trains will start running on time and not be randomly cancelled at the last minute.
    Having spent some time there, I'm frankly amazed they haven't crashed already.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Computer systems are getting more complex, not less. Mostly because they are doing a lot more but business leaders in the UK want everything on the cheap, even with mission-critical systems.

I know the SE uses a lot of contractors but there have been cutbacks in the past and staffing levels (and rates) have not recovered that well. There's supposed to be an IT boom but I'm seeing a lot of budgets being cut and rates are still anaemic on the whole.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        Computer systems are getting more complex, not less. Mostly because they are doing a lot more but business leaders in the UK want everything on the cheap, even with mission-critical systems.

I know the SE uses a lot of contractors but there have been cutbacks in the past and staffing levels (and rates) have not recovered that well. There's supposed to be an IT boom but I'm seeing a lot of budgets being cut and rates are still anaemic on the whole.
        AFAIK stock exchange used to be run on software that Accenture played a large part in, then the LSE bought millenniumIT to use their software for the exchange.
        Millennium IT is based in Sri Lanka.

Comment

And TSB.

Both Visa & TSB claim it was hardware, not software.
          That's so vague, though. For example, apply a firmware update to a bunch of routers scattered across your critical infrastructure; they all go down because the manufacturer screwed up (and the victim screwed up by not rolling out the update gradually). It probably gets described as a hardware failure even though it was software that broke the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            That's so vague, though. For example, apply a firmware update to a bunch of routers scattered across your critical infrastructure; they all go down because the manufacturer screwed up (and the victim screwed up by not rolling out the update gradually). It probably gets described as a hardware failure even though it was software that broke the hardware.
            So, the question is: have they all got the same brand of hardware at some point, and have they all applied the same firmware fix over the last few days?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So, the question is: have they all got the same brand of hardware at some point, and have they all applied the same firmware fix over the last few days?
              And do they just roll it out on the live environment with no testing or failover/rollback mechanism?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                And do they just roll it out on the live environment with no testing or failover/rollback mechanism?
                They probably ran a test on a dummy server that wasn't actually connected to any meaningful system, ran it up, got to the login screen and signed it off as working.

Comment

They probably ran a test on a dummy server that wasn't actually connected to any meaningful system, ran it up, got to the login screen and signed it off as working.
                  I hope whoever it was had PI insurance!
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

And TSB.

Both Visa & TSB claim it was hardware, not software.
                    I know a guy who knows a guy etc. and he said TSB was down to a stupid Go/No Go and the fact they fired a lot of contractors working on the migration. So it was people not hardware for TSB.

Comment

Anybody seen Suity recently?

Comment

Working...
                      X