• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Objecting to neighbours planning application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Most of the NIMBY arguments to reject planning have been removed. Infact the permitted development is quite large, it might be that the far extension requires planning but the conservatory -> brick extension does not but is listed on the planning application for completeness.

The last time I faced a similar problem with my neighbour adding a huge extension, I ended up selling and moving on to a better house.
    I thought you turned the property into a slum with lots of DHSSers.

Comment

Update

Here's and update:
      Yesterday I had a knock at the door and it was the owners. They do indeed plan on moving back in and were anxious to make nice. They don't want to create a huge fight with their neighbours, but they also want a huge light blocking extension. They also revealed that they were having problems with the management association that is also not keen on the extension because it doesn't match all the other ones. I've got an email for them now and we have agreed to talk.

Should I still immediately object to the current application? Even if the neighbors agree to change the design, won't they have to submit a new app or change the old one? I don't want to poison the relationship but I'm objecting to that one no matter what.

One more thing - I got a scammy looking letter yesterday from a bunch of surveyors asserting that I should force the neighbours to pay for a survey under the party wall act. Is this something I should consider?

Comment

If considering your own extension to stay on equal footing with the neighbours, do a deal with them where you get two for price of 1.5 and split the cost.

May mean going for same type of extension so same materials and process for the builder to make some savings to pass on.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          Here's and update:
          Yesterday I had a knock at the door and it was the owners. They do indeed plan on moving back in and were anxious to make nice. They don't want to create a huge fight with their neighbours, but they also want a huge light blocking extension. They also revealed that they were having problems with the management association that is also not keen on the extension because it doesn't match all the other ones. I've got an email for them now and we have agreed to talk.

Should I still immediately object to the current application? Even if the neighbors agree to change the design, won't they have to submit a new app or change the old one? I don't want to poison the relationship but I'm objecting to that one no matter what.

One more thing - I got a scammy looking letter yesterday from a bunch of surveyors asserting that I should force the neighbours to pay for a survey under the party wall act. Is this something I should consider?
          Be nice - they're moving back and good neighbours are invaluable. Mention that unfortunately you'd have to object to anything that caused significant blockage of light but that you'll have to wait to see the new plans before you could decide how much that is. If it's in their minds that you will definitely be objecting to significant blockage of light, they won't throw good money after bad to try and get something in place that won't be allowed to be built.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Be nice - they're moving back and good neighbours are invaluable. Mention that unfortunately you'd have to object to anything that caused significant blockage of light but that you'll have to wait to see the new plans before you could decide how much that is. If it's in their minds that you will definitely be objecting to significant blockage of light, they won't throw good money after bad to try and get something in place that won't be allowed to be built.
            I'm paying a lot of attention to your "Be nice" advice. I don't want to have a fued with new neighbors either.

I've documented all the ways that this extension will block the light and mocked up some illustrations and sent it to the owners in a very nice email that says if they reduce the depth from 3.86m to 2m or come up with some way to allow light through it will be acceptable to us. I've also told them that I'll be objecting to the application as it stands now but it doesn't mean we'll object to everything.

Comment

Just in case anyone is bored and will read anything, I'll update what actually happened:

The neighbours indeed wanted to move back in and make a huge extension completely blocking all of our light. They came over several times to talk about their plans, but essentially wouldn't change from the giant brick wall plan simply because they thought they didn't have to. Fortunately, we have a management association who care about what changes people make to their property and because of old political reasons they all hated this guy and objected to everything. We had a contentious AGM where we got everyone to vote against the neighbour. They sold the house and never lived there, just being entitled assholes cost them many thousands of pounds.

Now we've got a new neighbour, I'll start a new thread with a new question.

Comment

You are Wilmslow and will end up with a horse's head in your bed.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                X