• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to take work laptop home but cannot work from home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    On a retail bank tech upgrade project I was on many years ago, there was a member of the deployment team going out collecting up the old kit and putting it on eBay. I *think* they may have wiped the hard drive but can't be 100% sure...
    A security guy at current client was doing something similar at car boot sales. He didn't remove the service desk phone number sticker and got caught when one of his buyers phoned for support.

Comment

Indeed supply a Kensington lock & leave in the office. That stays on their insurance. If they want you to take responsibility you might as well supply your PC and have something that actually runs properly.

Unless you have an autosafe in the car and a safe at home its not like you can keep it safe. I hate having to walk around with a laptop while checking into a hotel, especially a classy joint like the Thistle!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

What kind of tulip places do you lot live in where you put laptops where children can trip over them and dogs pee on them? Or you leave them unattended at coffee shops?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The converse side of the argument from all the disguised permies on here is that if you have a desk in the office with a set of drawers with your stuff in them, etc, how much of a contractor are you?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Indeed supply a Kensington lock & leave in the office. That stays on their insurance. If they want you to take responsibility you might as well supply your PC and have something that actually runs properly.

Unless you have an autosafe in the car and a safe at home its not like you can keep it safe. I hate having to walk around with a laptop while checking into a hotel, especially a classy joint like the Thistle!
            If the client is concerned about laptop theft, they can supply their own Kensington locks in the office (many do), look after their own stuff, and check their own insurance. I am not carting their nasty laptop around the country, unless it is to WFH. Clients! Know your place!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              A security guy at current client was doing something similar at car boot sales. He didn't remove the service desk phone number sticker and got caught when one of his buyers phoned for support.
              I had a client about 10 years ago where a soon-to-be-ex-IT-bod had done the same with some old servers. Several hundred thousand bank customers details ended up on e-bay. He got caught when the bloke who bought the offending server went straight to the press.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                If the client is concerned about laptop theft, they can supply their own Kensington locks in the office (many do), look after their own stuff, and check their own insurance. I am not carting their nasty laptop around the country, unless it is to WFH. Clients! Know your place!
                I have a couple of locks on me I take the first day clearly marked as mine.

When they say take it home I can reply "I will lock it up"
                then when they say "we don't have a lock"
                I can reply "I have one you can borrow for a week while you order one".
                Lock it up with your lock then put an IT request in for a lock and a week or two later you have your lock back. They want a key so they don't damage the laptop if you get marched off site so they want to buy the lock.

Works like a charm.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                X