• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you give up Contracting for "promotion"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be a little careful - they may promise to appoint you as a skill-gaining architect, but in practice keep you doing the same job you were doing as a contractor because it is more convenient for them.

Comment

I'd give up contracting for a decent pension package, but I've already got one.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

They want to meet in a few weeks after I said I would only be interested in an architecture position so lets see what they say!

Comment

Originally posted by ctm View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

They want to meet in a few weeks after I said I would only be interested in an architecture position so lets see what they say!
          So.. lets get this right. You are contracting in a 280 a day position the clients needs to fill with a permie so has offered you the role. You've said you'll only work for him as an architect but you aren't qualified and have no experience. They've never had one so you'll have to design the role, process and everything from the ground up.. with no experience or skills. And you've told him that's all you will do?

I hope you are doing a bit more in the background to try find more work than waiting to see what your client says. Wish and prayer doesn't really cover this one.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 8 June 2018, 17:11.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            So.. lets get this right. You are contracting in a position the clients needs to fill with a permie so has offered you the role. You've said you'll only work for him as an architect but you aren't qualified and have no experience. They've never had one so you'll have to design the role, process and everything from the ground up.. with no experience or skills.
            It's so nice to hear from a true contractor. NLUK -are you sure YACOTBA?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              It's so nice to hear from a true contractor. NLUK -are you sure YACOTBA?
              Permatractor and proud.

You sure that acronym is right?
              Last edited by northernladuk; 8 June 2018, 17:12.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                Regarding your longer plan (come back to contracting as an architect), architecture is great and well paid but the opportunities are few and far between. Its all very well being on $$$ for 6 months, but not if it takes another 6 months to find the next architecture gig.
                That really depends on why you went contracting.

Working for 6 months of the year sounds pretty good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Working for 6 months of the year sounds pretty good to me.

Working? Not a chance. 3 months tops

Invoicing? Now that's a different matter.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Working? Not a chance. 3 months tops

Invoicing? Now that's a different matter.
                    That's the spirit.

Comment

take the opportunity to use them to improve your appeal.

Its your career and their feck up.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X