• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one!

I am covering for my manager next week - interviewing Indian offshore chaps to do my job! Nice and demoralising. Client seems to think that the role of technical delivery manager and operational readiness / service transition manager can be merged into one job and done from the sub continent. Happy days.

CV spivved and out there.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      And did he think he was doing you a favour?
      He did.

Me: I'm sorry but I've signed a new contract now.

Him: But you signed a contract with us?

Me: [Hard silent stare across the table]

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Nice one!

I am covering for my manager next week - interviewing Indian offshore chaps to do my job! Nice and demoralising. Client seems to think that the role of technical delivery manager and operational readiness / service transition manager can be merged into one job and done from the sub continent. Happy days.

CV spivved and out there.
        be strong, stand back and laugh!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          be strong, stand back and laugh!
          ...and wait for the phone call in 3 months time.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Did you tell him that you though the desire to send perfectly good uk jobs overseas to try to recoup the cost of some absolutely abysmal management decisions was a deciding factor in your decision not to renew?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Did you tell him that you though the desire to send perfectly good uk jobs overseas to try to recoup the cost of some absolutely abysmal management decisions was a deciding factor in your decision not to renew?
              I couldn't tell the manager responsible as he has opened another small office some distance away where he skulks with the marketing team and broadcasts his unpopular and ill-conceived ideas that others are forced to implement and still deliver the product.

Tempting that it is to tell the truth I'm remaining polite and professional.
              Last edited by TwoWolves; 11 June 2018, 09:05.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                Tempting that it is to tell the truth I'm remaining polite and professional.
                Sometimes biting your tongue means more work in the future, no matter how tempting it is to give the client a dose of reality.

Comment

Well done! Even though your current client offered an extra month (whoop-de-doo) there's no guarantee they'd have work (and therefore pay you) during that extra time. Length of contract doesn't guarantee amount of work you can bill them for.

Though if a client values you enough and they aren't sure of future work available you can negotiate terms at renewal, e.g. to be paid a minimum number of hours/days per week, so can invoice them when nothing to actually do.

How else do you think so many CUKers have such a high post count.

Doesn't sit will if outside IR35 though unless you get it worded right 'on retainer'.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
                    He did.

Me: I'm sorry but I've signed a new contract now.

Him: But you signed a contract with us?

Me: [Hard silent stare across the table]

Comment

Working...
                    X