• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking: Pimlico Plumbers loses Supreme Court appeal....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking: Pimlico Plumbers loses Supreme Court appeal....

....against 'self employed' plumber awarded 'worker' status in earlier hearing. Old Charlie will be pissed off!

Good news.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

May you live in interesting times...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Referring to the BBC website, there is clearly a bad use of the word contractor here – I’d think he is set up as a “temporary” worker.

Having worked for the same company for a prolonged period of time (decision made by the employer) it is the “common sense approach” to hand him entitlement to permanent style benefits such as flexible working. If not done it basically puts the employee at the whim of any employer and hence would put employees at a real disadvantage, something that is absolutely prevalent in the current job market which is the reason for the landmark nature of this decision. I wouldn’t think this translates into the world of us contractors or gig economy for the fact that this case exists because he has been working at Pimlico long – term and therefore has that as leverage to use as a temporary worker.

I’d also think working in the blue collar sector has a slight different rule set compared to regular white collar contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
          Referring to the BBC website, there is clearly a bad use of the word contractor here – I’d think he is set up as a “temporary” worker.

Having worked for the same company for a prolonged period of time (decision made by the employer) it is the “common sense approach” to hand him entitlement to permanent style benefits such as flexible working. If not done it basically puts the employee at the whim of any employer and hence would put employees at a real disadvantage, something that is absolutely prevalent in the current job market which is the reason for the landmark nature of this decision. I wouldn’t think this translates into the world of us contractors or gig economy for the fact that this case exists because he has been working at Pimlico long – term and therefore has that as leverage to use as a temporary worker.

I’d also think working in the blue collar sector has a slight different rule set compared to regular white collar contracting.
          Workers are entitled to statutory sick pay, and leave entitlement (paid holiday).

So if you are inside ir35 then surely you should be entitled to these too...?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Workers are entitled to statutory sick pay, and leave entitlement (paid holiday).

Yes agreed.

I guess this is just more support of bringing those (who want to be) inside of IR35. A small victory for those I guess...

although is being inside IR35 any good at all?!!?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

Giving the agencies an excuse to withhold 12.5% of income, in their banks accounts, to cover annual leave. Where is the benefit to the Contractor exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                Giving the agencies an excuse to withhold 12.5% of income, in their banks accounts, to cover annual leave. Where is the benefit to the Contractor exactly?
                You need to understand that Purple Gorilla is one of the dross. He resents successful contractors.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

A bullet in HMRC's gun?

Doesn't this decision basically give HMRC the legal ammunition to consider all contractors within IR35? They might not even have to push through the private sector reform any more.
                  Very discouraging!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You need to understand that Purple Gorilla is one of the dross. He resents successful contractors.
                    Eh?

Comment

Working...
                    X