• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking: Pimlico Plumbers loses Supreme Court appeal....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Sasguru postulates that workers from foreignland are brought in because local workers are useless. This implies that working in foreignland requires a higher level of ability than working in the UK. Conversely, the bringing of people from foreignland implies that foreigners find the work in the UK more facile than in their home country. As a corollary, if some can't cut it in the UK, then they'll be unable to cut it in foreignland either, so your point is refuted.

Your inability to construct simple logical arguments unfortunately gives a data point in favour of sasguru's hypothesis.

Personally, I think it's garbage, but I do think you lack the ability to think critically. But don't feel bad, you've many bedfellows in this regard.
    What a load of bollox...

(Is that simple and logical enough for you?)
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
      I think you're correct.

I just don't know how they kept straight faces in the meeting when they dreamt this up the first time around. Can you imagine it... "let's make them like employees and pay full PAYE on the company income", "but what about the employer's NI", "ah good point, but seeing as they're running a LTD company, they'll be employers, so we'll charge them that as well" Which to me is an admission I'm in business with all the associated risks and challenges.

Oh well ho hum.
      It's the same thing with the 2019 Loan Charge too...
      "Let's call the loan 'employment income' and tax it accordingly"
      "But it was provided through a trust"
      "Good point... let's also class it as a 'loan from a trust' and charge IHT whenever the loan is written off"
      "SORTED!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        One assumes that not all client engagements were "caught" (perhaps only those through agency channels) and that one would still need to operate a ltd. So perhaps 80% of income would be PAYE and 20% ltd, but the costs of running a ltd wouldn't change.
        So the costs of the accountant that is still required because of the ltd, would be paid by the ltd and still be tax deductible. The costs wouldn’t come out of post tax agency income.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          So the costs of the accountant that is still required because of the ltd, would be paid by the ltd and still be tax deductible. The costs wouldn’t come out of post tax agency income.
          IR35 allows for private sector contractors caught in IR35 a 5% break to meet limited company expenses.
          Contractors' Questions: What is the IR35 5% expense rule?

However public sector IR35 contracts won't have this allowance...

If IR35 becomes a blanket requirement for private sector like it is for the public sector, we are likely to lose the 5% allowance as well...
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:20.

Comment

What does the ruling mean to the IR35 debate

Does anybody how this ruling is actually going to apply IR35 arguments ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scotslaw View Post
              IR35 allows for private sector contractors caught in IR35 a 5% break to meet limited company expenses.
              Contractors' Questions: What is the IR35 5% expense rule?

However public sector IR35 contracts won't have this allowance...

If IR35 becomes a blanket requirement for private sector like it is for the public sector, we are likely to lose the 5% allowance as well...
              Agreed, so why would you continue to use a ltd company and therefore require an accountant?

Am I missing something here?

Your post, all income is paye via agent/brolly so no need for a ltd therefore no accountant?

Mordac’s post, 80% paye + 20% not IR35. In which case the ltd for the 20% can still deduct accountancy costs pre-tax?

It’s the loss of training, travel & subsistence that will bring the hurt, not accounting costs.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 12 October 2018, 21:21.

Comment

Many years ago in Chelsea my gas combi boiler broke down and I got in different plumbers to give me quotes for a new one, they all came and gave me a quote but Pimlico Plumbers were the only ones demanding payment for just giving a quote and their estimation for installation and the parts was around 40% higher than all the other quotes from other companies. I paid them to get rid of them for good but they were a cheek, money for nothing basically.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Fair point, it's all in the perception; c£1500 against £20k seems far worse than c£1500 against £100k.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

use a ltd company and therefore require an accountant
                    Accountant is not required, it's prudent but not a requirement. You can file your own accounts.

Comment

Working...
                    X