• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

recruitment agency games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
    The point I’m trying to make is the second recruitment agent plucked me out and said he was putting me forward when in fact he saw me as a threat and wanted a different candidate to put forward and was trying to get as much of the competition out of the way as possible. Thank god, I called his BS and went with another!
    This is a well known trick that agencies use, especially when they are only allowed to forward a limited number of cv's and they have reached that limit, but it will take you off the market as a potential good fit that can be used by another agency.
    This has been many times described in the business branch on this board.

To get around it say in your confirmation of representation email, you're happy to be represented by them, provided that your cv will be forwarded to the end client within 24 hours.
    When another agency calls you about the same role, tell them agency xyz told me that they forwarded me but I don't believe them, they are always happy to check. If you were forwarded they won't call you anymore, if you weren't they'll be back on the phone within minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
      This is a well known trick that agencies use, especially when they are only allowed to forward a limited number of cv's and they have reached that limit, but it will take you off the market as a potential good fit that can be used by another agency.

To get around it say in your confirmation of representation email, you're happy to be represented by them, provided that your cv will be forwarded to the end client within 24 hours.
      When another agency calls you about the same role, tell them agency xyz told me that they forwarded me but I don't believe them, they are always happy to check. If you were forwarded they won't call you anymore, if you weren't they'll be back on the phone within minutes
      hah thats a good point! I will do that from now on! thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Catching them out is smart of you. Posting it in General is not.

Playing agents off is a dangerous game and can go wrong if they both submitted you. In this case they didn't and you got away with it but could have easily gone the other way. Problem is how do you know if they have put you forward or not which you don't so the game goes on.

I'm not a fan of naming because in many cases it's the newbie contractor that's either got it wrong, misunderstood the game or sounds like a whining lickspittle. If you are absolutely sure it will actually add any value rather than just being a 'Cool story' then go for it. So 'X' agency pulled a fairly standard trick. I'm sure they all have at one time so just goes in the 'Agents being underhand/selfish/greedy/ignorant and so on' bucket.
        LOL i put it in the general section as its a good story to tell nothing more. As its not a rule of naming and shaming the agency was Nigel Frank International.

I caught them out as i tried to contact him several times, caught him off gard and promised to get back to me when they have allocated interview slots... its becuase they did the exact same thing to me last year so this time i called the bluff.... had nothing to lose but a rejection on a contract. Yes it did pan out for me quite well and booked some holiday too , client is happy and said I will add the time off ontop of the agreed contract so i dont miss on any pay. Even willing to send me on training courses if i want but i dunno about that.

Point of the story is they dont have to be dicks about it and he end up losing a contract, contractor and a client!

end of the day im running a business whilst they are playing a game rather then putting forward people who are fit for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

In my experience, it's pretty rare that agencies have a limited number of submissions. It's obviously best practice to send a few good ones rather than 10's of candidates. If the agency has any level of relationship with the client then they'll always be able to submit further candidates.

Comment

The key point here is, it's not necessarily the agency, but the individual agent. I've had bad dealings and good dealings with the same agency. People move around. They are on commission, and some are less scrupulous than others. I've provided IT services to a couple of agencies in the past, one paid me a fortune to babysit them over Y2K, which I knew wouldn't cause them any problems, but I was able to exploit their paranoia. It cuts both ways. In over 25 years I've seen my fair share of contractors messing agencies around, and I've done it myself once or twice. We're all in business, and you don't always cut it by playing by the rules, sometimes you have to bend them a bit. If you're moaning about agency shenanigans all the time, you have to ask yourself if you're really COTBAC...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

If the Agent says (s)he is going to send your CV to the company, ask them when they are going to send it and to whom. Wait a day or two, then phone up the named contact at the company and ask if they have received your CV. You then get your answer as to whether your CV has been sent or not. I have tried this before and it worked well.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyLopez View Post
                If the Agent says (s)he is going to send your CV to the company, ask them when they are going to send it and to whom. Wait a day or two, then phone up the named contact at the company and ask if they have received your CV. You then get your answer as to whether your CV has been sent or not. I have tried this before and it worked well.
                Good luck getting to the named contact if it's not Human Remains.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TonyLopez View Post
                  They won't tell you whom may or may not have received your CV. Not before hell freezes over, anyway. I've been inside the tent, so to speak, and the goldenist of all golden rules is never give out a client's name. Unless they're a sh!t agency, in which case you may well have other issues....
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                  X