• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

recruitment agency games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recruitment agency games

well don’t know if they are or not but I think I caught them out this time. Seems to be a specific one which I shall not name unless I’m allowed as the bridge is on fire at the moment.

I had two competing recruitment agencies after me, first was a lower rate second was higher. I went with the second one obviously and was told that they (client) is going through the selection process. so, I waited a week nothing. Called up on Friday as he said that’s when they are selecting the candidates and was told to wait, Monday came along and nothing. Another whole week had passed!

I had another call the following week, this time from a third recruitment agency. He gave me the same rate as the second recrutiment agent and was in constant contact with him. He also told me that they are looking at my cv right now. I put the phone down and half hour later got a call back that they want to do a telephone interview. I was also told out of four recruitment agencies that they need to select 2 candidate from the pool of contractors as there was too many. This recruitment agency then said that the client said "you’re the most technical and best suited . The client really likes you and you’re the only one in for a telephone interview and most likely will get the job" ...... the rest is history (got the job after a face to face 2 days later).

The point I’m trying to make is the second recruitment agent plucked me out and said he was putting me forward when in fact he saw me as a threat and wanted a different candidate to put forward and was trying to get as much of the competition out of the way as possible. Thank god, I called his BS and went with another!

if I’m allowed to name the recruitment agency I would since its bad practice and a dirty tick’s. (it’s one of the so called big agency that no one ever seems to get a job through hint hint)

Originally posted by cosmic View Post
    if I’m allowed to name the recruitment agency I would since its bad practice and a dirty tick’s. (it’s one of the so called big agency that no one ever seems to get a job through hint hint)
    Who's preventing you from naming and shaming?

Btw, they're agents, don't expect "Honesty and Integrity" most of 'em would sell their mothers!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Btw, they're agents, don't expect "Honesty and Integrity" most of 'em would sell their mothers!
      I would of thought its a big taboo not to name and shame?

Yes they are dirty little f***ers, this isnt the first time that this recruitment agent has done this and had a feeling that they did this last time but didnt have any proof like I do this time as i didnt want to hinder my chances by applying via multiple agencies.

Comment

Are you wondering if the agency is owned by someone who belongs to that group of people that you won't work for?

Comment

I would of thought its a big taboo not to name and shame?

Yes they are dirty little f***ers, this isnt the first time that this recruitment agent has done this and had a feeling that they did this last time but didnt have any proof like I do this time as i didnt want to hinder my chances by applying via multiple agencies.
          FFS!

Do you know what punctuation is?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Are you wondering if the agency is owned by someone who belongs to that group of people that you won't work for?
            An agency is an agency - if they pay my invoice on time and accurately then that's all I require.

My question revolved around the fact that the OP thinks (s)he can't "name and shame". I merely wish to know who is likely to prevent him/her from naming and shaming.
            Last edited by Zigenare; 13 June 2018, 10:53.

Comment

An agency is an agency - if they pay my invoice on time and accurately then that's all I require.
              Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Of course.
                Enough, already!
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Enough, already!
                  But our old friend needs to make sure the owners are not just in it for themselves.

Comment

well don’t know if they are or not but I think I caught them out this time.
                    Catching them out is smart of you. Posting it in General is not.
                    I had two competing recruitment agencies after me, first was a lower rate second was higher. I went with the second one obviously and was told that they (client) is going through the selection process. so, I waited a week nothing. Called up on Friday as he said that’s when they are selecting the candidates and was told to wait, Monday came along and nothing. Another whole week had passed!

I had another call the following week, this time from a third recruitment agency. He gave me the same rate as the second recrutiment agent and was in constant contact with him. He also told me that they are looking at my cv right now. I put the phone down and half hour later got a call back that they want to do a telephone interview. I was also told out of four recruitment agencies that they need to select 2 candidate from the pool of contractors as there was too many. This recruitment agency then said that the client said "you’re the most technical and best suited . The client really likes you and you’re the only one in for a telephone interview and most likely will get the job" ...... the rest is history (got the job after a face to face 2 days later).

The point I’m trying to make is the second recruitment agent plucked me out and said he was putting me forward when in fact he saw me as a threat and wanted a different candidate to put forward and was trying to get as much of the competition out of the way as possible. Thank god, I called his BS and went with another!

Playing agents off is a dangerous game and can go wrong if they both submitted you. In this case they didn't and you got away with it but could have easily gone the other way. Problem is how do you know if they have put you forward or not which you don't so the game goes on.

I'm not a fan of naming because in many cases it's the newbie contractor that's either got it wrong, misunderstood the game or sounds like a whining lickspittle. If you are absolutely sure it will actually add any value rather than just being a 'Cool story' then go for it. So 'X' agency pulled a fairly standard trick. I'm sure they all have at one time so just goes in the 'Agents being underhand/selfish/greedy/ignorant and so on' bucket.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X