• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving personal details to an agency leads to slanging match.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's also a fact it's legal to chop your own cock off but you'd be stupid to do it.
    pity some posters on here only found out afterwards.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Glad to see you've caught up with the rest of us.

Flouncing about a passport image doesn't change whether you're a doormat or not. If you don't like the fact that customers call the tune maybe it's better to get a job with your local council.
      But do they, though?

The client has a need for someone with X skills and experience. I'm a person who can provide X skills and experience. Sure, the client can arguably hire other contractors with X skills and experience, but then so too can I find other clients willing to hire me.

The difference between most other people's attitude here and mine seems to be that they advocate a "sell out at any cost" kind of whoring, while I greatly prefer entering into a relationship on a more equal footing basis.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        But do they, though?

The client has a need for someone with X skills and experience. I'm a person who can provide X skills and experience. Sure, the client can arguably hire other contractors with X skills and experience, but then so too can I find other clients willing to hire me.

The difference between most other people's attitude here and mine seems to be that they advocate a "sell out at any cost" kind of whoring, while I greatly prefer entering into a relationship on a more equal footing basis.
        I have to admire the massive flexibility in your business model

Comment

But do they, though?

<some deluded crap snipped>.
          Yes.

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Yes.

And yet in over 15 years of contracting, I've had a sum total of around 6 months on the bench (ignoring time on the bench taken purposefully).

But I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong. Please, do tell me how I can be so much better like yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              I have to admire the massive flexibility in your business model
              No need to be "flexible" if it's already working well.

Of course, also bear in mind that I didn't get into contracting for the filthy lucre (which is what most people seem to do it for - hence the whoring themselves to the highest bidder), I got into contracting for the autonomy and control over my own work-life and career.

Could I have done things differently over the years and gained more money than I have done? Almost certainly, yes.
              Would I have been happier if I'd done that? Almost certainly, no.

As baffling and alien as it seems to some folks, money isn't everything.
              Last edited by billybiro; 19 June 2018, 20:19.

Comment

As baffling and alien as it seems to some folks, money isn't everything.
                True, but it does help to have a healthy buffer between oneself and the harsh realities of life

Comment

And yet in over 15 years of contracting, I've had a sum total of around 6 months on the bench (ignoring time on the bench taken purposefully).

But I'm sure I'm doing it all wrong. Please, do tell me how I can be so much better like yourself.
                  In which case I congratulate you on being a very lucky boy. Because if I turned up with an attitude like yours and handed the client a £500 a day invoice, I wouldn't be holding my breath whilst waiting for payment.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

6 months? Loser.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Giving personal details to an agency leads to slanging match.

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      6 months? Loser.
                      Why about the 14 years purposefully on the bench?
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X