• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sucked it off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sucked it off

The Myth - A sinking ship creates enough suction to pull a person under if that person is too close (as was rumoured to occur when the RMS Titanic sank).

Sinking Titanic Myth | Mythbusters Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

who's a pretty boy then?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Actually I think it's an urban myth that this is an urban myth!

I read a book on the Titanic, and only one or two people on the deck when the ship went down survived, including a young Japanese guy who was bleeding profusely from his nose and ears when they pulled him into a lifeboat, indicating that he had been pulled down to a considerable depth by the undertow. Another survivor actually said he felt himself being pulled down until everything went dark, but then felt himself lifted by a giant air bubble welling up from the ship below.

You could actually test this by sinking a toy ship in the bath, after sprinkling a few ants on the ship!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      urban myth
      Can't really be an "urban" myth, in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. A "maritime" myth, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        Actually I think it's an urban myth that this is an urban myth!

I read a book on the Titanic, and only one or two people on the deck when the ship went down survived, including a young Japanese guy who was bleeding profusely from his nose and ears when they pulled him into a lifeboat, indicating that he had been pulled down to a considerable depth by the undertow. Another survivor actually said he felt himself being pulled down until everything went dark, but then felt himself lifted by a giant air bubble welling up from the ship below.

You could actually test this by sinking a toy ship in the bath, after sprinkling a few ants on the ship!
        Or watch what happens to the gammons when the economy sinks.

Comment

Working...
        X