• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Professional indemnity insurance - project manager - usual cover level?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional indemnity insurance - project manager - usual cover level?

Hi,

My contract agency have just told me that they require me to hold £1m minimum cover level for professional indemnity insurance.

My policy is with Axa, who will not cover me for any more than £250k.

1. What cover level do the other project managers here (Ltd. co, not umbrella) have in place?

2. Is it usual or reasonable for a contract agency to require this level of cover?

Thanks.

You should have whatever the contract stipulates.

However as a PM you are no doubt up to speed on both risk and negotiation...

To be fair £1m is about par. I carry that permanently - as should you. I would look fits cheaper providers than Axa such as QDOS, direct line or Randell and Dorling
    Last edited by malvolio; 22 June 2018, 13:47.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

You're lucky you don't have suity on the project team.

Comment

I've only got £500k. Current agency asked for £1m, I just sent them the certificate and they accepted it without comment. Different agencies ask for different amounts, had one ask for £5m in the past!
        Back to business!

Comment

Does it cover water damage from poorly bled radiators?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

call Hiscox

Comment

I have £1m with Caunce O'Hara.

Kingsbridge is another one to check out.

Do check the policy T&C's and especially the exclusions. Not all policies are created equal...

Comment

had to take out a lloyds syndicate this one time as no bugger would cover me

turns out working on.... opps can't say.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It varies but £1m is becoming fairly standardised

Hi folks

We are seeing more and more project managers, contractors and consultants being asked by those they are contracting with for £500k, £1m or £2m PI limits depending on the size and scale of projects they are involved with.

It is also worth checking that if an insurer offers you a higher limit, there are no hidden limits attached to certain activities or perils that you are most likely to claim against should the worst happen.

Appreciate that doesn't help if you're current provider won't increase the limit but at least provides a bit of insight as to what we are seeing at Hiscox.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    had to take out a lloyds syndicate this one time as no bugger would cover me

turns out working on.... opps can't say.
                    Is the Thistle Hotel Heathrow really that much of a death trap?

Comment

Working...
                    X