• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking up for nurses etc - do you ever think whats the big deal with what I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Anyone work in a role where someone may die if they **** up?
    Yes. Multiple times.

And more likely than not that if I get it wrong multiple people die.
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Elliot Jaques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Jaques) set out a framework called Time Span of Discretion. It was a way of deciding how much to pay people in an organisation.

Essentially, the longer it takes for anyone to notice you've made a mistake, the more you get paid.

If a lorry driver delivering goods screws up, it will be noticed in minutes or a few hours. If the CEO screws up, it might not be noticed for 2-5 years.

I therefore take great comfort when I find (as is normal) that I have zero impact on what's going on. It means I mathematically justify infinite pay
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
        Yes. Multiple times.

And more likely than not that if I get it wrong multiple people die.
        Out of interest what do you work on then?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Out of interest what do you work on then?
          Highly secure, very sensitive systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
            Elliot Jaques (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Jaques) set out a framework called Time Span of Discretion. It was a way of deciding how much to pay people in an organisation.

Essentially, the longer it takes for anyone to notice you've made a mistake, the more you get paid.

If a lorry driver delivering goods screws up, it will be noticed in minutes or a few hours. If the CEO screws up, it might not be noticed for 2-5 years.

I therefore take great comfort when I find (as is normal) that I have zero impact on what's going on. It means I mathematically justify infinite pay
            Or, more likely, you do feck all.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
              Highly secure, very sensitive systems.
              Defence?

I used to work in Defence and obviously can't provide details but most of the stuff was just roll out of new functionality, new projects etc. If I'd screwed up it woud have been hassle but its not like it was affecting a live battlefield system.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

...Trying to think of what I've done over the years. Yes I've worked for NHS, and dealt with NHS systems. Would it have an immediate effect on someones health? Probably not...
                Unless you were the moron who put all the possible medication a doctor could prescribe onto one drop down alphabetically ordered list with no chance of filtering and no keyboard shortcuts. Ex-doctor Adam Kay said that he was reluctant to prescribe anything towards the Z end of the alphabet as it meant pressing the down key for 3 or so minutes.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Defence?

I used to work in Defence and obviously can't provide details but most of the stuff was just roll out of new functionality, new projects etc. If I'd screwed up it woud have been hassle but its not like it was affecting a live battlefield system.
                  I've worked on a few projects where people could have died but the amount of testing that goes on meant the level of indemnity insurance needed was less than other projects. Also helped they could chuck you in prison...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Defence?

I used to work in Defence and obviously can't provide details but most of the stuff was just roll out of new keyboards, mice etc. If I'd screwed up it would have been hassle but its not like it was affecting a live battlefield system.
                    FTFY

Comment

Defence?
                      Some was defence, some wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X