Sticking up for nurses etc - do you ever think whats the big deal with what I do? Sticking up for nurses etc - do you ever think whats the big deal with what I do? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 29 of 29

More time posting than coding

MonkeysUncle is a permanent contractor

I remember over drinks me and a few colleagues were discussing security and monitoring in the workplace. One of my old colleagues who once worked for the police (in either NZ or Oz, cant remember). They put in system which archived mail, but while it did this it would scan all email and flag any racist/derogatory words.
    One officer was found out and rather than face the crimes and justice.....he killed himself.

Hit my colleague quite hard but in the end the way he had to see was that the project he worked on may have unearthed the emails but he didnt write it.

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

I worked on a defence project once. The worst that could have happened would have been the client being prosecuted for mis-stating their VAT returns. I never could get to grips with what was a credit and what was a debit. Like many traders really.

And as for security, we had to code around a bit of information we weren't allowed to have. When I discussed this with the security officer, saying how we'd done it, he said "oh, yes thingy-xwyss". Doh!
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

A bunch of IT nerds arguing about how important they are and that their work is the difference between life and death. How cute.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

More fingers than teeth

greenlake has reached the peak. Play again?

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    A bunch of IT nerds arguing about how important they are and that their work is the difference between life and death. How cute.

vetran is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Unless you were the moron who put all the possible medication a doctor could prescribe onto one drop down alphabetically ordered list with no chance of filtering and no keyboard shortcuts. Ex-doctor Adam Kay said that he was reluctant to prescribe anything towards the Z end of the alphabet as it meant pressing the down key for 3 or so minutes.
    Hey at least its in alphabetical order. Some genius decided to put the 200 + item of alphanumeric part numbers on a drop down in random order on one software package I had to support. For some reason we constantly got the wrong selection, it normally meant an incorrect box of electronic trickery if they did that but no deaths.

I have strenuously avoided being involved in any job where harm could come to you, in some hospitals (mainly abroad) you might get an incorrect bill but no care pathway if I screw up.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Said the guy who's only ever worked for accountancy PR teams.
    Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that you need to find all the packing the computer came in...

Super poster

vwdan is NOT a disguised employee

I had a conversation with my sons heart surgeon a couple of weeks ago. Just after signing the consent form with death in capital letters at the top of the risk assessment, which was nice. (5% chance if you're interested)

I'm not going to lie, it's rather made me question if I've actually done anything useful in my life. The fact we earn in the same region is kind of embarrassing to me, really. I then had to persuade him to help himself to our milk from the fridge, as the staff supply had ran out.

As for me, landing a plane is about as exciting as it gets to have other peoples lives in my hand - people are very particular about that requirement.
    Last edited by vwdan; 25th June 2018 at 19:31.

Godlike

BR14 is always on top

Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    As for me, landing a plane is about as exciting as it gets to have other peoples lives in my hand - people are very particular about that requirement.
    That's only because you are used to driving.....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!