• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking up for nurses etc - do you ever think whats the big deal with what I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember over drinks me and a few colleagues were discussing security and monitoring in the workplace. One of my old colleagues who once worked for the police (in either NZ or Oz, cant remember). They put in system which archived mail, but while it did this it would scan all email and flag any racist/derogatory words.
    One officer was found out and rather than face the crimes and justice.....he killed himself.

Hit my colleague quite hard but in the end the way he had to see was that the project he worked on may have unearthed the emails but he didnt write it.

Comment

I worked on a defence project once. The worst that could have happened would have been the client being prosecuted for mis-stating their VAT returns. I never could get to grips with what was a credit and what was a debit. Like many traders really.

And as for security, we had to code around a bit of information we weren't allowed to have. When I discussed this with the security officer, saying how we'd done it, he said "oh, yes thingy-xwyss". Doh!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

A bunch of IT nerds arguing about how important they are and that their work is the difference between life and death. How cute.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          A bunch of IT nerds arguing about how important they are and that their work is the difference between life and death. How cute.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Unless you were the moron who put all the possible medication a doctor could prescribe onto one drop down alphabetically ordered list with no chance of filtering and no keyboard shortcuts. Ex-doctor Adam Kay said that he was reluctant to prescribe anything towards the Z end of the alphabet as it meant pressing the down key for 3 or so minutes.
            Hey at least its in alphabetical order. Some genius decided to put the 200 + item of alphanumeric part numbers on a drop down in random order on one software package I had to support. For some reason we constantly got the wrong selection, it normally meant an incorrect box of electronic trickery if they did that but no deaths.

I have strenuously avoided being involved in any job where harm could come to you, in some hospitals (mainly abroad) you might get an incorrect bill but no care pathway if I screw up.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Said the guy who's only ever worked for accountancy PR teams.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I had a conversation with my sons heart surgeon a couple of weeks ago. Just after signing the consent form with death in capital letters at the top of the risk assessment, which was nice. (5% chance if you're interested)

I'm not going to lie, it's rather made me question if I've actually done anything useful in my life. The fact we earn in the same region is kind of embarrassing to me, really. I then had to persuade him to help himself to our milk from the fridge, as the staff supply had ran out.

As for me, landing a plane is about as exciting as it gets to have other peoples lives in my hand - people are very particular about that requirement.
                Last edited by vwdan; 25 June 2018, 19:31.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    As for me, landing a plane is about as exciting as it gets to have other peoples lives in my hand - people are very particular about that requirement.
                    That's only because you are used to driving.....
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X