• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official (TM) England - Belgium thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No team ever trains to lose - it must be extremely hard ....

Not only that ... I think it's deeply immoral for a team to try and lose. Any team, in any sport.

Football is entertainment. People have paid a lot of money, taken time off work, travelled thousands of miles and it's the obligation of both teams to try and win.

Changing the line-up, resting players, giving some of those who haven't had match time the opportunity to bid for their place and sharpen themselves up is fair enough, but not trying to get a result is despicable.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      Not only that ... I think it's deeply immoral for a team to try and lose. Any team, in any sport.

Football is entertainment. People have paid a lot of money, taken time off work, travelled thousands of miles and it's the obligation of both teams to try and win.

Changing the line-up, resting players, giving some of those who haven't had match time the opportunity to bid for their place and sharpen themselves up is fair enough, but not trying to get a result is despicable.
      Rubbish. Got to do whatever it takes to win the competition, not any particular game.
      Other teams have that ruthlessness, time England had it too.
      No one remembers any particualr game only who won the WC.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        Heres my prediction if England win:-

1. Will be mention that maybe England can win world cup now.
        2. 1966 will be mentioned a few times.
        3. Everyone else in the UK outside of England will want them to lose the next match even more because of (1) and (2).
        Welsh bitterness shining through there
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Rubbish. Got to do whatever it takes to win the competition, not any particular game.
          Well, in that case, they should just phone in sick and don't bother turning up.

My prediction is 2-1 England, Kane hat-trick. Yes, he'll score an own-goal.

My other prediction: Kane to win BBC Sports Personality of the year.

Comment

The other group is full of pretty uninspiring teams, no real heavy hitters there.

And you can't forget the impact of morale and momentum, winning all 3 group games would lead to massive confidence whereas a deliberately lacklustre performance could stall all that.

Plus, playing a decent team is a massive learning experience for a good, but inexperienced side. I think they need to try hard even if the result isn't critical, to gather data for tough group games.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Other teams have that ruthlessness, time England had it too.
              No one remembers any particualr game only who won the WC.
              Speaking sense.

You have to play who is put in front of you and beat them.

Even if we did conspire to lose today then all we really get is to not have to face a 'top' team until the semi's instead of (probably) meeting up with Brazil in the quarters.

For me we should play the same team we would if we needed to win the game and do our best to win the game.

But we shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                Well, in that case, they should just phone in sick and don't bother turning up.

My prediction is 2-1 England, Kane hat-trick. Yes, he'll score an own-goal.

My other prediction: Kane to win BBC Sports Personality of the year.
                Wouldn't that lead to disqualification?
                Makes no sense to risk Kane getting an injury in this game.
                I agree with your last prediction.

I think in the end both sides will play their B-teams and it will be a lacklustre game.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Speaking sense.

You have to play who is put in front of you and beat them.

Even if we did conspire to lose today then all we really get is to not have to face a 'top' team until the semi's instead of (probably) meeting up with Brazil in the quarters.

For me we should play the same team we would if we needed to win the game and do our best to win the game.

But we shall see...
                  I don't think you've understood my post. Par for the course.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I don't think you've understood my post. Par for the course.
                    hmmm i think that's golf - we are still on football..

talk about not understanding the post

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      hmmm i think that's golf - we are still on football..

talk about not understanding the post

Are you tag-teaming with Bean?
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X