• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop throwing those bloody snowflakes at me!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Well maybe they should show the film to show how the British imperialists civilised the indigenous peoples of a country

FTFY

Do you also bleat on about the treatment of Indians (non Bobs) as shown in Westerns that are currently still being shown on TV?
    Have we? South Africa, whether blacks or whites doesn't seem to be all that civilised. Once South Africa civilised during the apartheid era?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      He is the reason for their existence and for the big surge in feminism/anti-racism. But he's not one of them he's the alt-righter-in chief who they are rallying against.

The 'problem' is people refusing to accept results of democratic elections that didn't go the way they wanted and having tantrums about it.
      Real snowflakes get their tantrums in early: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...rendum-7985017
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Zulu is a great film and not particularly racist IMO.
        Gives totally the wrong picture of the wider context though: the Zulus won the battle of Isandlwana, in spite of not having the latest guns or artillery.
        It took a much larger army sent later to subdue them.
        ISTR that Cetshwayo's plan was to bitch the British and then negotiate a truce before the main army arrived and the fighting continued. He did not realise that the British would react very harshly to being humiliated like that.

I have also read that the high number of medals awarded was a PR move to give people something else to talk about rather than just how the British had been beaten.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          ISTR that Cetshwayo's plan was to bitch the British and then negotiate a truce before the main army arrived and the fighting continued. He did not realise that the British would react very harshly to being humiliated like that.

I have also read that the high number of medals awarded was a PR move to give people something else to talk about rather than just how the British had been beaten.
          Here's an interesting article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...kes-Drift.html
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Don't mention the Silk Cut Zulu advert.

Oh.

Oh dear, I've mentioned it now.

Anyway, once we had Maxim machine guns and the SMLE, things really went swimmingly well in the massacre department.

Though it must be said that those Boer chappies never played fair by shooting back at us with rather more effective rifles.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              FTFY

Do you also bleat on about the treatment of Indians (non Bobs) as shown in Westerns that are currently still being shown on TV?
              or Aboriginies. Luckily he lives in an Enlivened country that never did that sort of thing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...res_in_Germany

and none of our fine neighbours did anything naughty over in Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

As mentioned before don't wish for the Belgians to colonise you!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                or Aboriginies. Luckily he lives in an Enlivened country that never did that sort of thing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...res_in_Germany

and none of our fine neighbours did anything naughty over in Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

As mentioned before don't wish for the Belgians to colonise you!
                When you've lived in countries that have had signs such as below or have been colonised by Europeans, then you can take the moral high road but until you have, I would suggest you continue to post your Daily Mail links because that at least shows us at what level you seem to think at:

Once your little fantasy of taking back control has come to be, then you'll see what it is like to be treated as a second rate citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  When you've lived in countries that have had signs such as below or have been colonised by Europeans, then you can take the moral high road but until you have, I would suggest you continue to post your Daily Mail links because that at least shows us at what level you seem to think at:

Once your little fantasy of taking back control has come to be, then you'll see what it is like to be treated as a second rate citizen.
                  well you'll be ok in your beloved fatherland

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans

Afrikaans (UK: /ˌæfrɪˈkɑːns, -ˈkɑːnz/, US: /ˌɑːf-/)[5][6] is a West Germanic language spoken in South Africa, Namibia and, to a lesser extent, Botswana and Zimbabwe. It evolved from the Dutch vernacular[7][8] of South Holland (Hollandic dialect)[9][10] spoken by the mainly Dutch settlers of what is now South Africa, where it gradually began to develop distinguishing characteristics in the course of the 18th century.
                    Yep all my fault... I have no Dutch or German heritage.

As mentioned it was history. I feel no guilt as I had no part. I do feel awe because it was outstanding bravery on both sides. The film is a classic and should be allowed to stand to remind us of what used to be so we don't repeat the bad parts. I'm sure there will be a film about the fall of the EU empire eventually!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                      I'm sure there will be a film about the fall of the EU empire eventually!

There was a brief mention in the documentary series "Babylon 5".

A Strangelove great uncle fought the Boers and remained in South Africa until his death in the 1980s.

There are Strangelove relations there who would not have been allowed on whites only beaches back in the day.

And, indeed, one would really not want to have been colonised by the Belgians.

I blame the Treaty of London of 1839 for inventing the damn place.

The millions of deaths caused by that piece of parchment is quite remarkable.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 27 June 2018, 07:57.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X