• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stop throwing those bloody snowflakes at me!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stop throwing those bloody snowflakes at me!

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Ah so good we have you to know what my thought processes are. Though I suspect an alcoholic octopus would probably more accurate.

It was the only parallel I could think of that reflected the difficult situation Palestine & Israel are in.
    You clearly didn’t think hard enough then.

You could have used “I wonder what it would be like if everyone of English descent returned to England to reclaim ancestral lands”.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

You could have used “I wonder what it would be like if everyone of English descent returned to England to reclaim ancestral lands”.
      we would probably make them a cup of tea, give them lots of forms to fill in. I doubt Lilly Allen or Labour ministers would offer them their spare room.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post

Won't most of them be descendants of criminals anyway and as such have no lands or titles?

Anyway, why would they want to come back to this tuliphole?

Just saying...
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
          Weren't most of the African tribes "nomadic"?
          Africa is a very big place. It's had its own share of nation states where people were in a fixed location and technology was developed. Interesting read here: » 100 African Cities Destroyed By Europeans
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Africa is a very big place. It's had its own share of nation states where people were in a fixed location and technology was developed. Interesting read here: » 100 African Cities Destroyed By Europeans
            And that article is about sub-Saharan Africa (from a brief look - it does reference Ancient Egypt). The Carthaginians were an impressive bunch as well.

Comment

It's fascinating and at the same time saddening to think how much knowledge and human history has been lost due to the lack of surviving records.* Even 'carved in stone' is affected by the elements.

Have they successfully decoded all the Egyptian hieroglyphics or is a lot of the ancient advanced civilisation still a mystery?

e.g. How did they lay out the pyramids and other landmarks that seemingly require a view from space due to the geometry? There will be some 'glyphs detailing that somewhere. My theory is that it wasn't aliens but they just built straight roads joining them all and those roads have eroded away over time. The Romans then copied their system for building their straight roads.

* This will happen again when someone destroys all the electronic records with a massive EMP, or aliens turn up with an anti-electricity device as they are allergic to it.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                It's fascinating and at the same time saddening to think how much knowledge and human history has been lost due to the lack of surviving records.* Even 'carved in stone' is affected by the elements.

Have they successfully decoded all the Egyptian hieroglyphics or is a lot of the ancient advanced civilisation still a mystery?

e.g. How did they lay out the pyramids and other landmarks that seemingly require a view from space due to the geometry? There will be some 'glyphs detailing that somewhere. My theory is that it wasn't aliens but they just built straight roads joining them all and those roads have eroded away over time. The Romans then copied their system for building their straight roads.

* This will happen again when someone destroys all the electronic records with a massive EMP, or aliens turn up with an anti-electricity device as they are allergic to it.