• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burn burn...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burn burn...

I didn't realise we could have bush fires in the UK

Saddleworth moor: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...ester-44647999

Winter Hill:
    https://news.sky.com/story/another-f...worth-11419895
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I didn't realise we could have bush fires in the UK

Saddleworth moor: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-en...ester-44647999

Winter Hill:
    https://news.sky.com/story/another-f...worth-11419895
    That's how they burn down the heather on the grouse moors - promotes new growth for the tasty little blighters

This is something different though.

Comment

The one on Winter Hill is pretty much out, based on the view from our office, compared to yesterday.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I can't see this any more, as it's moved down the western side of the pennines but on Monday it was on the top above Marsden and you could see the plume of smoke from 20 miles away. As it's made of X billion tons of peat, it may well burn for some time.

Looking over the countryside, there's barely a green field left. I don't have to cut the grass at least

Comment

1976 and 1977 were great years for fires as well. Not helped by the fire brigade going on strike, IIRC.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            1976 and 1977 were great years for fires as well. Not helped by the fire brigade going on strike, IIRC.
            In the 70s almost everyone was on strike, iirc...
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

There are fires up on Saddleworth every couple of years to be fair. This one is obviously a major fire but there aren't too many summers go by without something setting light up there.

Manchester centre was just a haze of smoke on Wednesday. Could smell the burn in the air.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                There are fires up on Saddleworth every couple of years to be fair. This one is obviously a major fire but there aren't too many summers go by without something setting light up there.

Manchester centre was just a haze of smoke on Wednesday. Could smell the burn in the air.
                Tuesday was worse I thought; a vary eerie drive home.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

It still smells of smoke round here and has done for several days. I'm about 4 miles from the city centre and from my office on the 20th floor you can see the smoke on the hills.
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    In the 70s almost everyone was on strike, iirc...
                    oooh Jeremy Corbyn!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X