• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solo Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo Holidays

With my ongoing divorce dragging on, I feel that going away for a few days for some time to myself would do me the world of good.

So has anyone ever been on a solo holiday and can recommend any companies they have used or resorts visited ? I am not after group solo holiday where you have to do stuff together, nor family resorts, just somewhere I can go and chill for a week (and meet other fellow soloers of course).

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    With my ongoing divorce dragging on, I feel that going away for a few days for some time to myself would do me the world of good.

So has anyone ever been on a solo holiday and can recommend any companies they have used or resorts visited ? I am not after group solo holiday where you have to do stuff together, nor family resorts, just somewhere I can go and chill for a week (and meet other fellow soloers of course).
    So you want a hook up, or you don't?

I've been on several holidays that welcome solo travellers, but the point is that you do do stuff together - it's not about hooking up.

If you want nookie, then I can't help

Comment

Yes, road trip

Get a motorcycle (or car), a GPS, and that's pretty much all you need.

You meet all sorts of interesting people on road trips, and if you don't like them, well, there's always more road.

Comment

That's pretty much the holidays I've done without Mr ms, who is a home lover.

Hike the Inca Trail
        Cycle in Cuba

Do stuff with other travellers - some solo, some not.

I've used Intrepid (big discounts with Tesco vouchers) - I think they have specific 'solo departures', but I've just done their regular holidays, and have never been the only lone traveller.

Comment

When I did the Inca trail (my first solo trip), I rocked up a couple of days before our tour started and headed up to a local site - met a French lady who was also completely on her own and we did it together.

Similarly, a weekend in Paris (this time with a friend), went to a cafe and met another woman on her own and chatted for ages. Solo travel is not uncommon - when you see someone on their own, talk to them.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            just somewhere I can go and chill for a week (and meet other fellow soloers of course).
            Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Get a motorcycle (or car), a GPS, and that's pretty much all you need.

Comment

When I did the Inca trail (my first solo trip), I rocked up a couple of days before our tour started and headed up to a local site - met a French lady who was also completely on her own and we did it together.

Similarly, a weekend in Paris (this time with a friend), went to a cafe and met another woman on her own and chatted for ages. Solo travel is not uncommon - when you see someone on their own, talk to them.
              Absolutely. In many ways, it's the best way to travel, because it forces you to step outside your bubble and to enjoy people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. If you like somewhere or someone, you stay a little longer, if not, you don't. No solid plans, no particular expectations; they often turn out to be the very best holidays.

Comment

I've been on several holidays that welcome solo travellers, but the point is that you do do stuff together - it's not about hooking up.

If you want nookie, then I can't help
                I am happy to meet people through my choice and not be stuck with others I dont in group activities and meals etc, which is how some of these holidays are done.

Comment

the point about the social activities is to permit you to join with others without embarrassment.

If you are a sex god then you don't need this, I never have an empty dance card because I'm deity's gift to women YMMV!

MS stop laughing!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Absolutely. In many ways, it's the best way to travel, because it forces you to step outside your bubble and to enjoy people you wouldn't ordinarily meet. If you like somewhere or someone, you stay a little longer, if not, you don't. No solid plans, no particular expectations; they often turn out to be the very best holidays.
                    In many ways, very much like contracting...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X