• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quarter of estate agents 'in financial distress'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to rethink their model and get with the times. They are being pushed out of the market by the online estate agents asking for a fixed fee. I used Purple Bricks recently for a £900 flat fee on a £600k house. Now even at 0.5% commission a high street estate agent would be asking for £3000. For what???? During the sale I repeatedly got phone call from high street estate agents telling me that their fee offered me access to their bespoke online portal that no one else has, especially the like of Purple Brick who only advertise on Right Move. This was apparently what my quoted 1.5% fee ...that's £9K in fees 10x what Purple Bricks wanted....was going towards as well as their nationwide network. Ho, I said, So that is why you want 10x what I am Paying Purple Bricks to pay for the upkeep of your nationwide offices. He put the phone down on me. Shame and I thought we were getting along so well.
    The business model of the High street Estate Agent is out dated. The age of the internet has dawned, had breakfast, made it through lunch and is now heading for it's evening meal and then its down the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
      They need to rethink their model and get with the times. They are being pushed out of the market by the online estate agents asking for a fixed fee. I used Purple Bricks recently for a £900 flat fee on a £600k house. Now even at 0.5% commission a high street estate agent would be asking for £3000. For what???? During the sale I repeatedly got phone call from high street estate agents telling me that their fee offered me access to their bespoke online portal that no one else has, especially the like of Purple Brick who only advertise on Right Move. This was apparently what my quoted 1.5% fee ...that's £9K in fees 10x what Purple Bricks wanted....was going towards as well as their nationwide network. Ho, I said, So that is why you want 10x what I am Paying Purple Bricks to pay for the upkeep of your nationwide offices. He put the phone down on me. Shame and I thought we were getting along so well.
      The business model of the High street Estate Agent is out dated. The age of the internet has dawned, had breakfast, made it through lunch and is now heading for it's evening meal and then its down the pub.
      Estate agents are people too.....no scrub that, they can always become used car salesmen, or god forbid if they can't even do that, recruitment agents.

Comment

What is amazing is that it has taken so long for estate agents to get their comeuppance.

It will happen to other agents too.

In a few years banks will be under threat from fintechs. Then there are lawyers, doctors, etcetc.

Comment

They're not in financial distress. Stick some cut flowers up their arses and you will recognise the investment potential.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Estate agents are people too.....no scrub that, they can always become used car salesmen, or god forbid if they can't even do that, recruitment agents.

I heard by a commentator during one of the footy matches yesterday that Tony Blair has a son that is a football agent. I wasn't surprised. Poor kid's got the brylcreem gene from Teflon Tony. Passing on such genes should count as child abuse.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              What is amazing is that it has taken so long for estate agents to get their comeuppance.

It will happen to other agents too.

In a few years banks will be under threat from fintechs. Then there are lawyers, doctors, etcetc.
              Doctors are already under threat from AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                Doctors are already under threat from AI.
                AI will help keep up with rising demand for healthcare with an aging population and increased chronic conditions, but the demand for doctors will continue.

AI / algorithms are good for things like early detection of sepsis in inpatients. Not so good for managing complex health needs of frail and elderly patients with multiple comorbidities.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I used to date an estate agent. They aren't all bad.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I used to date an estate agent. They aren't all bad.
                    That is hardly a recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      AI will help keep up with rising demand for healthcare with an aging population and increased chronic conditions, but the demand for doctors will continue.

AI / algorithms are good for things like early detection of sepsis in inpatients. Not so good for managing complex health needs of frail and elderly patients with multiple comorbidities.
                      With the majority of ailments what exactly can a human do that a properly trained AI model can't? They ask a series of questions from textbooks & experience, recommend tests then draw a conclusion based on the evidence.

I would expect doctors to be augmented by technology soon and replaced in most minor cases over the next 20 years. Now there may be a place for communicating the diagnosis to the patient & providing support but that doesn't need a doctor.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X