• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thailand caves rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    At least they're not stuck in there with MF.
    They could have used him to plug the tunnel and stop any more water coming in.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
      They went in just as it started to rain.
      Then couldn't get out so retreated further into the cave system to find dry land. They had permission to go in, according to the Times article.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        They could have used him to plug the tunnel and stop any more water coming in.
        But would it be worth the risks to air quality and morale?

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          One isn't so sure. If those Chilean miners are anything to go by, then the poor bastards are going to get dragged to Old Trafford as soon as they're out.
          If they had any commercial sense they'd be saying how they have kept their moral up by re-enacting Disney movies but unfortunately their NIKE trainers got wet clambering through the caves and are now useless, as have their Rolex watches which have now been ruined and lost in the muddy waters, however if they had had a Ferrari each they could have used them to keep warm and dry their NIKE trainers on the hot engine...before dying of CO poisoning.

Or do you think trying to blag a free Rolex and Ferrari is going a bit too far.

It's going to make a good true life movie though. Of course the British Cave Divers will have to be case as American Navy Seals

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            Discussion on this subject yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by woman next to me (yesterday)

It's only and hour and half, why can't they just put a mask on and then lead them out?

Quote Originally Posted by me

Cave diving is about the most dangerous thing you can do. It'll take ages to teach them to do it

Quote Originally Posted by woman next to me (yesterday)

Yes but, as a mother, you know, you just want them out
            Sometimes there is no reasoning with her and the earphones go in.

An hour and a half of diving is 2 of 12litre tanks at 200bar even for an experienced diver let alone someone who is inexperienced, probably sh*t scared and hyper-ventilating. When Cave Diving and you run out of air...That's it...Game Over

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              An hour and a half of diving is 2 off 12litre tanks at 200bar even for an experienced diver let alone someone who is inexperienced, probably sh*t scared and hyper-ventilating. When Cave Diving and you run out of air...That's it...Game Over
              I've never done any cave diving and wouldn't wish to. I'm assuming that lighting could be rigged up along the route.

A serious suggestion, couldn't the kids be sedated and pulled through the length of the tunnel?

On another tack, there appears to be an effort to see if there's an alternative route to the cave where the kids are. Maybe that will have some mileage.
              Last edited by Zigenare; 4 July 2018, 13:24.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                An hour and a half of diving is 2 off 12litre tanks at 200bar even for an experienced diver let alone someone who is inexperienced, probably sh*t scared and hyper-ventilating. When Cave Diving and you run out of air...That's it...Game Over
                True - I do not really have 'phobias' as such but the thought of being trapped under ground with a slowly diminishing air supply is the stuff of nightmares.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

A serious suggestion, couldn't the kids be sedated and pulled through the length of the tunnel?

I'm no medical professional, but doesn't sedating someone comes with its own risks, particularly when you are not going to be able to monitor them or administer retrospective treatment should anything go wrong. I think the risks are too high.

On a positive front the kids got in there so they are not likely to be claustrophobic. That could work in their favour when the time comes to get them out by what ever means.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                    One isn't so sure. If those Chilean miners are anything to go by, then the poor bastards are going to get dragged to Old Trafford as soon as they're out.
                    Death is preferable, surely...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      Death is preferable, surely...
                      Not sure about that. I might be minded to hide when rescue day came and turn into gollum though.

Comment

Working...
                      X