• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thailand caves rescue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    So the adult in charge was a ******* idiot.
    No need to worry, Suity has gone down to head up the rescue team, we should see a conclusion in the next 24 hours.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      No need to worry, Suity has gone down to head up the rescue team, we should see a conclusion in the next 24 hours.
      Unfortunately, it might be a bit longer than that now. Suity fell asleep on the bus to Heathrow, and missed his stop and the flight to Thailand....

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
        Unfortunately, it might be a bit longer than that now. Suity fell asleep on the bus to Heathrow, and missed his stop and the flight to Thailand....

Plan is to wedge Suity in at the front of the cave so the water stops going in. Jobs a good un
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If lighting could be rigged, all the better.

Teaching basic stay-alive scuba skills can be done in about an hour. I understand they're getting full face masks which will help. They shouldn't need to use buoyancy control at these depths.

Where possible, establish rescue points along the way with rescue divers, spare tanks and torches.

Take them through one at a time with two rescue divers per rescuee, one behind, the other ahead on a buddy line so all the boy has to do is relax and let himself be pulled through. It could get a bit hairy if there is a restriction that cannot be navigated while kitted up, but the rescue divers would help get the scuba gear on and off.

Biggest risk is probably a panic attack and someone losing it and grabbing hold of a rescuer's regs or striking too fast for the surface, but the team will be trained to deal with those possibilities.

It won't be easy or pleasant but I think the chances of success are pretty high.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I did scuba through a cave once by the island of Mafia, just off Tanzania. Perhaps only 15-20m deep. Apart from being worried about pranging my regulator off the ceiling, it was the darkness that was notable even though the cave from entrance to exit couldn't have been more than 10m in length. Then I bricked when those eyes stared at me. As big as anything. A 20Kg+ tuna was gawking at me as if to, what are you doing in my home? Quite right too.
            Last edited by scooterscot; 4 July 2018, 20:19.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              I did scuba through a cave once by the island of Mafia, just off Tanzania. Perhaps only 15-20m deep. Apart from being worried about pranging my regulator off the ceiling, it was the darkness that was notable even though the cave from entrance to exit couldn't have been more than 10m in length. Then I bricked when those eyes stared at me. As big as anything. A 20Kg+ tuna was gawking at me as if to, what are you doing in my home? Quite right too.
              It was trying to work out which hotel you were staying in so it could avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                It was trying to work out which hotel you were staying in so it could avoid it.
                There can be only one

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...n_England.html
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Then I bricked when those eyes stared at me. As big as anything. A 20Kg+ tuna was gawking at me as if to, what are you doing in my home?
                  Nah, it was thinking to itself...."Well, there's something you don't see every day!"

Comment

It seems there is a real possibility they won't be able to rescue them before the next rains. Which seems to imply it's feasible they might not make it, which would be a horrendous end to the story given the world would be watching them die.

They're already talking about the option of keeping them in there for several MONTHS until waters subside.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44720785

Who bought the film rights? This is a real Apollo 13 story brewing.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Every time I see this link I think about the brain juice wasted looking it up, posting it, you must value your juice at rock bottom prices.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X