• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dilbert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Don't beat yourself up. If you ask nicely I can send somebody round for that...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      I do the Dilbert gags sunshine...

PS - Does anyone else think the "contractor" looks like George Michael, or is it just me?
      Technically, Scot Adams does the Dilbert Gags, you just rip them off and take the credit.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Technically, Scot Adams does the Dilbert Gags, you just rip them off and take the credit.
        With such panache though...
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Classic ...
          Reminds me when a client changed their procurement policy while I was mid contract so at renewal it had to be approved by a member of the board as it was over a certain value threshold that previously didn't exist.

The IT director requested a meeting with me and the team leader who was my 'handler' at the client, during which the director commented with surprise that I was getting paid so much. I had the feeling it was comparable to his salary and somehow I had been flying under his radar so far, so I said "that's before tax". He visibly relaxed, his position of dominance re-established.

Renewal was approved, apparently they did need me after all.

I suppose senior management may only usually look at the project cost when approving things so expect those lower down the chain to ensure value for money for individual resources. Keep your head down and don't arrive on site too flashy, you might dent someone's ego.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Had an interview once for a gig. Knew the bloke (IT manager) anyway so it was a done deal afterwards

BUt before it had to be rubber stamped by the new financial director. Then got told he wanted to speak to me.

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?". The IT manager just went redder and redder as the FD asked stupider and more rude questions. I knew it was then not going to happen.... and it was.

To this day, I still know the original fella and he still apologies for the actions of his FD.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Had an interview once for a gig. Knew the bloke (IT manager) anyway so it was a done deal afterwards

BUt before it had to be rubber stamped by the new financial director. Then got told he wanted to speak to me.

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?". The IT manager just went redder and redder as the FD asked stupider and more rude questions. I knew it was then not going to happen.... and it was.

To this day, I still know the original fella and he still apologies for the actions of his FD.
              Yet you couldn't explain about experience, risk taken, that it is a pre-tax figure, you have no holiday or sick pay, no training days, your pension has to come out of that figure, etc.?

AYCOTBAC (Don't answer that for him NLUK!!!)
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

£50 to hit it with the hammer, £1250 for knowing where to hit it with the hammer!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  £50 to hit it with the hammer, £1250 for knowing where to hit it with the hammer!
                  Or who to hit with a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by NLyUK View Post
                    Don't beat yourself up. If you ask nicely and for a large fee I can send somebody round for that...
                    FTFY
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?".
                      He did have a point.

Comment

Working...
                      X