• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    Don't forget your GB sticker etc, for on-the-spot fines;

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/

If you've got a EU badge with UK in the stars on the plate you don't need a GB sticker. It's not 1960!

Is this a wind up thread?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      Don't forget your GB sticker etc, for on-the-spot fines;

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/france/
      Car always fully equipped including fire-extinguisher, first-aid kit, high-vis vests etc.

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
      It's also illegal to use a device which reports where the speed cameras are now.
      Built in and hidden away, blip, blip, blip...

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Was there the other day, nada...The only migrants you'll see are middle class Brits escaping to greener pastures :-)
      Me one of them, I will be also re-registering the car.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Car always fully equipped including fire-extinguisher, first-aid kit, high-vis vests etc.

Me one of them, I will be also re-registering the car.
        Make sure you take a copy of this with you.

Comment

Some things you must know when driving in the Continent

1. Your life expectancy is thirty-six minutes

2. Never look where you are going. The police keep a look out for this sort of thing.

3. Never give way. If you want to turn left against the traffic, stop and get out your travelers checks.

4. Make sure that you are in the wrong gear all the time.

5. Continental law forbids any driver under the influence of teetotalism. Strict measures are taken to ensure this. If the alcohol count in your bloodstream is less than 87%, you may be liable for prosecution.

6. There are many hills and other prominences abroad. Make certain, when going over the brow of a hill or around a corner, that you are on the wrong side of the road and busy talking to the person beside you.

7. You will know if you are on the wrong side of the road when there is oncoming traffic your side of the road.

8. Always steer the car with your little finger and don't use the windscreen. Since you'll be overtaking most of the time, drive constantly looking into your rear view mirror.

9. All front seat passengers on the continent are obliged, under the law to be mad.

10. Never stop suddenly for chickens, peasants, donkeys or because your eight week old puppy has shot through the wind screen. You may cause an accident.

11. Accelerate when approaching an going over narrow bridges. This will give you a better chance of getting there before a large truck of inflammable liquid.

12. In dense fog, continental law obliges you to see how fast you can go.

13. Remember 1 km. = 25 mph.

14. Traffic signs don't exist. Rely on the body gestures of oncoming drivers. If you see a bus driver hitting his chest you know he is having a heart attack and is going to veer of the road and down a deep gully. If you see a driver looking down at his lap you know he is making himself a sandwich is likely to smash into you with no warning.

15. Using your horn all the time is the key to driving on the continent. If in doubt, honk that horn!
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            My in car one doesn't report cameras in France any more.
            I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Got one of these tag things for the annual drive South Motorway Tag

Will see if it's worth while
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

pointless - using the tolls going through France recently, booth accepted contactless payment - was through in 30 secs.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Just back from France and no sign of any migrants. Really watch out for people pulling out on you.

Comment

Especially Belgiums, they never indicate. Had one driver recently pull out into my lane at speed. I had to serve and hit one of those plastic posts in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Especially Belgiums, they never indicate. Had one driver recently pull out into my lane at speed. I had to serve and hit one of those plastic posts in the process.
                      Were they in a BWM or Audi? If so, it’s not just Belgians.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X