• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel - Croatia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel - Croatia

Am thinking of visiting Croatia ...Pula in particular. Has anyone been and what did they think of it? Anything in particular to take heed of?

My parents are in Pula right now. I’ve been as a child. From the photos it seems like a nice place. Lots of Roman history.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
      Am thinking of visiting Croatia ...Pula in particular. Has anyone been and what did they think of it? Anything in particular to take heed of?
      Pula’s okay, nice Roman amphitheater. Consider heading up the coast to Rovinj for a look, and perhaps a boat trip between Porec and Rovinj for a day trip. Rovinj and Porec both have old town centres that you can easily spend a day or two exploring and eating in.

There’s also a big nudie beach in between if that’s your thing. “Beach” might be over-egging it though, it’s a rocky outcrop. Beaches up the coast are stony,.

Plenty of small vineyards on the peninsular if that’s something that interests you. They don’t tend to have restaurants, but they do tastings and many of them hook up with small local restaurants for an easy day out.

Aquapark Istralandia isn’t crowded (at least it wasn’t last year...)

You can get a ferry day trip from Porec to Venice, or do your own day trips via car to Trieste (tuliphole), Ljubljana (lovely, especially Lake Bled), or Zagreb (check out the bulletholes still in the buildings from the war).

Comment

Not that particular place but went to Makarska in Croatia a couple of years ago. Best holiday I've been to in last few years and I've done Turkey, Malta, Crete and various in Spain. Depends what you like but if you're a walking freak, countryside is lovely. Interesting historic places too. Got beaches, shops, bars etc. as well if you like that sort of thing but not overdone like some countries.

PS Don't go to Northern Crete. Yech!!!
        PPS Yeh, there are a few nudie beaches in Croatia.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 7 July 2018, 17:54.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks guys ....sounds like a good choice by all your comments. Will look into it more.

Just been to Rome a few weeks ago and the travel bug is biting again already. It was the Roman/Venetian influence and amphitheatre that attracted me to Pula.

Comment

I see it's still just possible that England could play against Croatia in Football finals. You wont be v popular!
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Thanks guys ....sounds like a good choice by all your comments. Will look into it more.

Just been to Rome a few weeks ago and the travel bug is biting again already. It was the Roman/Venetian influence and amphitheatre that attracted me to Pula.
              It’s a beautiful place, a little unspoilt.

Be aware that it’s not nearly as cheap as it was a few years ago, and most of the tourists there are German or Russian.

Comment

Yes, where an English shirt, go over on Wednesday and when they lose keep singing

What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Erm ....the Jock in my moniker has clearly been lost on a couple. I wouldn’t be seen dead in and England top

Comment

Erm ....the Jock in my moniker has clearly been lost on a couple. I wouldn’t be seen dead in and England top
                    As a jock you wouldn't been seen dead at a world cup either...

Comment

Working...
                    X