• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract

Anyone here work for the MOD?

Started at the Filton Abbeywood site about a month ago and can't believe how I've lucked out.

Rate is equal to my best ever and it's 4 days a week WFH. The culture is very much one in which they want you to WFH & if you have to make an unscheduled visit to the office it's like wtf are you doing here taking up our valuable desk space? Quite refreshing really.

Just wondering if this goes across the board with the MOD or of it's specific to this site...

Your security clearance is about to be revoked.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Abbeywood was built for about half as many people as are now working there, so the more people they leave at home the better. Given the appalling parking and access roads, it's probably just as well...

Bloody awful building as well, even when it was new and still had empty spaces.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        Anyone here work for the MOD?

Started at the Filton Abbeywood site about a month ago and can't believe how I've lucked out.

Rate is equal to my best ever and it's 4 days a week WFH. The culture is very much one in which they want you to WFH & if you have to make an unscheduled visit to the office it's like wtf are you doing here taking up our valuable desk space? Quite refreshing really.

Just wondering if this goes across the board with the MOD or of it's specific to this site...
        Shhhhh.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Abbeywood
          You're thinking of Bath. They've moved on since then.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            You're thinking of Bath. They've moved on since then.
            Erm, yes, I worked with MOD Bath in the late 90s - mainly Foxhill and Lansdown - and was involved in the move to Abbeywood. I also worked in Main Building before (nightmare) and after the remodelling (better, pretty but inefficient), plus various other sites I can't talk about.

So sadly for you, I know exactly where I'm talking about.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No, I meant buildings that don't exist. Everyone's heard of GCHQ.

So stop digging...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Given the appalling parking
                Hi Darren.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Abbeywood was built for about half as many people as are now working there, so the more people they leave at home the better. Given the appalling parking and access roads, it's probably just as well...

Bloody awful building as well, even when it was new and still had empty spaces.
                  It was originally going to be at the site of the old Frys chocolate factory in Keynsham but Filton was chosen because of the rail links apparently.

As for parking, forgot it. There are a handful of spaces at the station but normally it means parking in Asda before moving over to Sainsburys when your time is up before moving back again. Probably spend an hour every Wednesday playing musical cars....

Comment

Train station next door of course. And they're own gate by the train station from what I remember?

I used to work at HP just up the hill.....

Result on the WFH though......
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X