• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are NEW Chinese buildings really falling down?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are NEW Chinese buildings really falling down?

This is an interesting v-log...

The rate of growth in China of recent decades has been in incredible, no one can deny. Friends emigrated out there 3 years ago - the life changing experience sounded awesome. However I could never tolerate the pollution, coughing and wheezing just climbing a flight of stairs. You did not have to look to far in the newly built apartment to see where corners had been cut. Quite literally.

Laterally I'm reading about the massive debt private individuals have built up mortgaging themselves to the limit. And now a few years later buildings are falling down. Much like the economy. When people stop (slow down) buying what China is selling (no doubt because of Trump tariffs) the world economy is going to more than cough.

And now this!!!

Ozone hole mystery: China insulating chemical said to be source of rise

This is criminal.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 July 2018, 14:41.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This is an interesting v-log...
    Well, that wasted a couple of hours this morning. Good find.

But why are you surprised?

Comment

Not surprised about the news, or even the corruption in plain sight. I'm surprised how close China is to economic collapse. That day when you realise 6-9% annual growth rates are not sustainable is going to be painful for the entire world, not just China.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Nothing is sustainable over a long enough timeframe, not even the Universe.

Rather than worry about inevitable change, see what opportunities it may present so you are well placed to survive or take advantage of the change.

So all the pound shops close as China increases the price of their tat. Something else will fill the void. The two pound shop.

Shame about the ozone but what will the world do about forcing China to keep to the agreement about not using CFCs?
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Shame about the ozone but what will the world do about forcing China to keep to the agreement about not using CFCs?
          I don't believe anyone can force China to do anything, they are just too big and powerful (even though Trump may tweet saying we will nuke 'em or whatever).

I believe China will use this as a bargaining chip against the tariffs, but seeing as Trump isn't really interested in the environment, he isn't going to push it either.

China will only stop it if it is in their interests to do so (which it should be since the depleting ozone layer affects everyone)

Comment

.. You did not have to look to far in the newly built apartment to see where corners had been cut. Quite literally. ...
            I saw a documentary on Chinese tower blocks, and in many you can literally quite easily scrape deep holes in the "concrete" walls with just a fingernail or even a finger.

Also, the floors and window sills constantly develop a film of sand even when regularly dusted or hoovered. The concrete is perishing and crumbling practically before the occupants' eyes.

I wouldn't set foot in any of them, let along work in them or far worse live in one! One minor earth tremor and many will just tumble down!
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When people stop buying what China is selling the world economy is going to more than cough.
              They will make it themselves. Probably without worker abuse.

Comment

Shoppers at £10 land will never accept that.

Comment

Working...
                X