• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

POLAND, how is it getting rich?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    2nd Biggest language spoken in the UK is Polish. Which really annoys the Welsh. Only 19% of Welsh speak Welsh. Mostly only in North and Mid Wales.
    There's tidy then.

Oddly enough I don't think it annoys me nearly as much as the interminable station announcements Yng Nghymraeg that by some diktat have to precede the same announcement in English that 99% of the population understand*.

* Apart from some gog living in a cave somewhere down west.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      I've decided to do some fact checking.

We have 7,376,965 families in the UK receiving child benefit. Of those, 20,085 are foreign and not known. That's 0.27%
      Those 7,376,965 families are claiming based on 12,847,100 children. Of those, 31,940 are foreign and not known. That's 0.25%

Since the recipients are foreign and not known, then there is no evidence to assume that they are all Polish.
      Based on the ONS figures, 16% of foreign nationals living in the UK are Polish.

So of the 7,376,965 families, one could interpolate that 3,214 of them are Polish (0.04% of the total)
      In terms of children, the interpolation would be 5,110 that are Polish (0.04% of the total)

Of the £11.6 billion spent on Child Benefit in the UK, the above figures would point to £4.64 million per year going to Polish nationals in total. A smidgen less than the £57.1 million being bandied about earlier in this thread.

Let's go for an exchange rate of $1.3 to £1, that makes Poland's GDP in 2017 as £403.47 billion.
      If we keep the daily wailers happy on here and say that every single Polish national claiming child benefit is sending it back to Poland, that means, wait for it...
      Child Benefits from the UK would account for 0.0012% of the Polish GDP.

If, instead of the daily wailers opinion, we chose, say 10% of the Poles were sending the money back, then the figure would be 0.00012%

There's an idea of the "unquantifiable" figure mentioned earlier
      I agree, it's hardly an earth-shattering sum, either way.

Though, due to inter/extrapolation from 'not-known' etc., your result (0.00012%) is a good indicator, but it's not a fact.

Due to the need for interpolation and/or assumption (like my own from post #19, clearly stated as impractical), which itself is due to data constraints (not known etc.) - the exact amount is unquantifiable, as previously stated.

I just did the worst-case sums (assuming [impractically] 100% Poles), as that is the maximum the UK could have been sending and it was still not 'a lot' by normal standards...
      Originally posted by Old Greg
      I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
      ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Though, due to inter/extrapolation from 'not-known' etc., your result (0.00012%) is a good indicator, but it's not a fact.

Due to the need for interpolation and/or assumption (like my own from post #19, clearly stated as impractical), which itself is due to data constraints (not known etc.) - the exact amount is unquantifiable, as previously stated.

I just did the worst-case sums (assuming [impractically] 100% Poles), as that is the maximum the UK could have been sending and it was still not 'a lot' by normal standards...
        Child benefit is nothing more than a reduction in tax, a recognition that someone with children should pay less tax.

However the Daily "Hitler was a great guy" Mail in true tradition likes to twist the story so that its followers give the foreigners a good kicking.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Child benefit is nothing more than a reduction in tax, a recognition that someone with children should pay less tax.

However the Daily "Hitler was a great guy" Mail in true tradition likes to twist the story so that its followers give the foreigners a good kicking.

Where is the requirement to pay tax listed as a proviso for claiming child benefit?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

Your assumptions were:
            1. 100% of all foreigner nationals in the UK claiming child benefit were Polish
            2. 100% of them were sending these benefits to Poland.

Statistically speaking, 16% of all foreign nationals are Polish. The probability that my figure is more accurate than your figure which is more than 10x it, is very high.

Even going by your own figure, the amount that UK Child Benefit impacts Polish GDP is still less than 1/100 of a percent. And note, that is "of a percent", so you need to divide the number by 100 to get what it actually is.

So when the claims are made on here that the UK Child Benefit is supporting Poland's growth, or that there is a massive amount going from the UK to Poland in benefit fraud that the government show no interest in tackling, it's clearly poppycock. But that won't stop the daily wailers from continuing to say that it's true and deny anyone who proves them wrong again.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Your assumptions were:
              1. 100% of all foreigner nationals in the UK claiming child benefit were Polish
              2. 100% of them were sending these benefits to Poland.

Statistically speaking, 16% of all foreign nationals are Polish. The probability that my figure is more accurate than your figure which is more than 10x it, is very high.

Even going by your own figure, the amount that UK Child Benefit impacts Polish GDP is still less than 1/100 of a percent. And note, that is "of a percent", so you need to divide the number by 100 to get what it actually is.

So when the claims are made on here that the UK Child Benefit is supporting Poland's growth, or that there is a massive amount going from the UK to Poland in benefit fraud that the government show no interest in tackling, it's clearly poppycock. But that won't stop the daily wailers from continuing to say that it's true and deny anyone who proves them wrong again.
              I concur.
              ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Not sure how you define those ChBen claimants, that do not pass the minimum earnings threshold, for paying any tax?

Also, not sure why you would sign-off that comment with a , given the part I've bolded

Do you enjoy people giving others 'a good kicking'? - as that's the only inference to be gleaned from your sentence in conjunction with your emoticon......
                ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

I wonder if location and climate are significant factors in pace of development.

Why do places on the Mediterranean do worse than more Northerly and inland countries? Maybe it is the same problem as coastal resorts have in the UK, too much reliance on seasonal tourism.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                  X