• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bring back the death penalty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Liberal judges. Probably thought that because he is black, he has suffered from oppression and racism, and these contributed to the anger that drove him to rape the girl.
    Read the sentencing guidelines. https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...ntent_web1.pdf

Looks like the judge decided it was a Category 2, Culpability A offence. That means starting point is 10 years, with a range of 9-13 years.

It seems odd to me, but apparently raping a child 13 years or older is treated the same way as rape of an adult. Only if the victim is under 13 are harsher penalties prescribed.

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Unfortunately they probably won't get the chance. 11 years though? You get close to double that for armed robbery, even if no-one gets harmed. Is it wrong to think that's wrong?
    Not the case. https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...eline-web2.pdf For Robbery – professionally planned commercial, the maximum sentence is 20 years (life), for a Category 1, Culpability A offence. You have to be armed with edged weapons/firearms (or imitation firearems) and cause significant harm to victims to get that.

Most armed robbery offences attracts less than what this rapist got.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I expect that all the armchair hangmen would like to see all the perpetrators of the 100,000 or so rapes and sexual assaults by penetration that occur each year executed, especially those who are already in relationships with their victims, where the breach of trust should be seen as an aggravating factor.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I expect that all the armchair hangmen would like to see all the perpetrators of the 100,000 or so rapes and sexual assaults by penetration that occur each year executed, especially those who are already in relationships with their victims, where the breach of trust should be seen as an aggravating factor.
        Indeed - string 'em all up...

...by the balls.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Indeed - string 'em all up...

...by the balls.
          That would be an impressive list of countries to beat on the global leader board.

Comment

I would like to see some proportion in the sentencing. I don't think that happened here.

Comment

So the part for me is

'He then raped her again despite being interrupted by the victim’s friends who had come to find her.'

So he was stopped and then just carried on.

That shows a complete and utter lack of interest in accepting that that particular girl and I imagine other people have any value or worth - simply things for this man to use for fun.

And that is really why the death penalty should be used he is never going to change or rehabilitate because he does not view anything he is doing as wrong - therefore save the tax payer some money.

Comment

If I've got a mad dog I take it outside and shoot it. It's the kind thing to do.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

That would be an impressive list of countries to beat on the global leader board.

I notice there are no civilised countries on that list...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                    I would like to see some proportion in the sentencing. I don't think that happened here.
                    I agree that the sentence was too lenient (although that may be a problem with the guidelines, rather than the sentencing judge).

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      I notice there are no civilised countries on that list...
                      Well you could argue the US is civilised....

But I do feel sometimes we get very 'smug' about how civilised we are because of the way we treat 'criminals'

I am just waiting for the day when the aliens land and have that perfect crime free society we always craved and when asked they simple said that to achieve it they had to eliminate all the bad genes, and then they wondered why we kept our criminals alive.

Wonder if we will feel so smug then.

It is the hard decisions and not the easy ones which have the most impact.

Comment

Working...
                      X