• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An innocent mistake to make.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I wonder what would have happened if Sadiq Khan had been portrayed with a blood covered knife in his hands standing over a young boy? Would that have been acceptable?
    Is that something he has ever done, or been accused of doing?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      In the eyes of some, e.g. Rees Mogg, as Mayor of London, he's not taken responsibility for doing something about the increase of knife crime over the last few years. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/94...ur-Party-Mayor

"But you cannot blame him for the trend that had started before he got in. It is his primary responsibility to be responding. That is where his responsibility lies.”

Certain vetran-minded folk read this kind of stuff, and end up believing that Khan is directly responsible for every knife murder in London.

Khan, being a politician, naturally blames government policy. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8141436.html
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'm good with using bigot to describe someone who shared or created this rather unpleasant image. Can we use similar for those that organised the Blimp?

I just want equality and clear definitions.
        No, we can’t use similar for those that organised the blimp. The blimp was political satire aimed at a president that acts like a baby, whereas the Khan image was deliberately offensive aimed at his religion.

There are (mostly) clear definitions on this, contained in various Acts.

I wonder what would have happened if Sadiq Khan had been portrayed with a blood covered knife in his hands standing over a young boy? Would that have been acceptable?
        That, in my view, would have been a political statement and not aimed at his religion, and therefore not bigoted. Clearly it would be far more of a political statement than just calling him a big baby, but if it is not racially or religiously motivated then it falls under different parameters.

Whether it is acceptable or not in a normal sense depends on how far you’re prepared to go to express political views. Have a go at him for his policies, by all means; play the ball, not the man.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          In the eyes of some, e.g. Rees Mogg, as Mayor of London, he's not taken responsibility for doing something about the increase of knife crime over the last few years. https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/94...ur-Party-Mayor

"But you cannot blame him for the trend that had started before he got in. It is his primary responsibility to be responding. That is where his responsibility lies.”

Certain vetran-minded folk read this kind of stuff, and end up believing that Khan is directly responsible for every knife murder in London.

Khan, being a politician, naturally blames government policy. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8141436.html
          ah so good you know what I'm thinking - guess what I am thinking now!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
            No, we can’t use similar for those that organised the blimp. The blimp was political satire aimed at a president that acts like a baby, whereas the Khan image was deliberately offensive aimed at his religion.

There are (mostly) clear definitions on this, contained in various Acts.

That, in my view, would have been a political statement and not aimed at his religion, and therefore not bigoted. Clearly it would be far more of a political statement than just calling him a big baby, but if it is not racially or religiously motivated then it falls under different parameters.

Whether it is acceptable or not in a normal sense depends on how far you’re prepared to go to express political views. Have a go at him for his policies, by all means; play the ball, not the man.
            Not sure I agree on the Blimp but your arguments make sense.

Glad to see you agree on Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              It is something he has been accused of doing.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ious-in-london

Serious crime soared in London in the past year, police figures have revealed, with the murder rate up by 44% and youth murder, personal robbery and home burglary all up by about a third.

The snapshot figures from the Metropolitan police, which show the number of crimes in the year to March, also showed a 23% increase in gun crime with discharges, a 21% rise in knife crime and an 18% increase in the number of rapes.

This increase last year is shocking.

Comment

ah so good you know what I'm thinking - guess what I am thinking now!
                Sure

Did I guess right?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Sure

Did I guess right?
                  as usual no!

Let me guess yours!

Comment

More like this:

Comment

There is always a home for like minded folks: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8447741.html
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X