• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A spoonful of knickers make the weddings go down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A spoonful of knickers make the weddings go down

School tackles forced marriages by giving spoons to students to set off airport metal detectors | Daily Mail Online

School gives spoons to girl students to hide in their underwear - so they can trigger airport metal detectors to alert authorities if they are being taken abroad for forced marriages
    The scheme is being run at the Co-operative Academy in Leeds, West Yorkshire
    Summer is peak time for parents seeking to force their children into marriage
    Charity Karma Nirvana took 9,000 calls on its forced marriage helpline in 2017

Nice to see some people trying to stop this.

but of course

celebrate the diversity!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I don't understand why you've commented "celebrate the diversity", when this particular minority ethnic practice is is being condemned in no uncertain terms. Perhaps to you "celebrate" and "condemn" mean the same?

What the school has done here is raise the profile of the issue of forced marriages, and made it clear that it is a criminal offence in the UK. That's good. It educates the kids about their rights and the issue, and it might cause some of the less civilised members of British society to think twice before forcing their daughters to marry someone they don't want to.

The spoon is nice idea, but is it really practical? It will only work if the victim becomes aware of her family's duplicity before security, and has access to a spoon. And if she just carries it around generally, and the family find out, it won't end well.

Better would be to make sure that she has some innocuous girly metallic object in her handbag - or just some coins - at all times, that she can quickly and easily secrete about her person.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Why should we have to deal with problems like this at all?

Stricter controls on immigration should include questioning to insure that, when there are significant issues like this in the country of origin, applicants understand British laws and are prepared to abide by them. Instead we ask daft questions about who built the Tower of London that few Brits could answer.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Why should we have to deal with problems like this at all?
        The children and grandchildren of immigrants are often more conservative than the 1st generation - who after all, came over here for a better life away from repression and violence... Improving immigration vetting won't have any effect on people born in the UK Perhaps internment is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Instead we ask daft questions about who built the Tower of London that few Brits could answer.
          That well known mason & bricklayer William the Bastard apparently.

I wonder how much bricklaying he did himself.

Did I pass?
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            The children and grandchildren of immigrants are often more conservative than the 1st generation - who after all, came over here for a better life away from repression and violence... Improving immigration vetting won't have any effect on people born in the UK Perhaps internment is the answer.
            well as the drive behind forced marriage seems to be so they can marry their cousin or someone else from their village to give them a visa it sort of is an immigration issue.

BBC - Ethics - Forced Marriages: Motives and methods

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...more-can-we-do

But don't worry they can use the victims of earlier forced / arranged marriages. Its not as if the practice is good for the babies.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...rning-disabled

Are you saying these modern girls are more conservative and are forced to marry an arranged partner were "asking for it"?

Referring to Obama's internment & separation of children is just unnecessary in this case or are you looking to invoke Godwin's law early?

The reason we celebrate the diversity is that this is a new issue and like FGM that is prevalent in immigrants having been mainly eradicated in the UK in the 20th century. If we are to accept the benefits multiple cultures bring we should also challenge and eradicate the illegal practices they brought with them. Or you can stick your head up your arse like most lefties.

Comment

The children and grandchildren of immigrants are often more conservative than the 1st generation
              Don't know you're wrong but where are they getting these beliefs from, if not from their parents/grandparents or newer arrivals? And would it happen as much if these groups were generally better integrated and mixed more with others in the population?

I don't say people should have to throw away all their history and culture, much is harmless enough, but there are some practices and beliefs in the emerging world that should not be tolerated.

Some seem to think that any group calling for stricter immigration controls must be racist but in fact, if they reduce the problems, they will help to reduce negative perceptions and reduce real racism.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's more complex than than people not mixing. Thinking of the people I know and grew up with, and who their spouses are there are lots of factors at play.

Most cultures have extended families involved in bringing up children, so you can meet adults who you think are a child's parents due to seeing them many times but in fact they are an uncle, aunt or cousin. These other adults will influence the child's thinking as well directly by what they say, and indirectly by how they see others in society treat them.

Then there is the fact adults are frequently contradictory. They tell and allow their kids to grow up mixing with others who are from different ethnic backgrounds and religions, then end up surprised their kid wants to marry someone they know who is a different ethnic background and/or religion. To prevent this happening because it some family relationship did it and their children aren't purely from their ethnic minority - they fear their descendants won't look like them and/or worship like thrm - they force them to marry and young.

One thing that would clearly help in the UK would to be to ban first cousin marriages. This would penalised everyone and help ensure less children with rare genetic conditions are born.

Btw boys/men get pressured and duped into marriage as well particularly if they are gay or have a disability.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  To prevent this happening because it some family relationship did it and their children aren't purely from their ethnic minority - they fear their descendants won't look like them and/or worship like thrm - they force them to marry and young.

One thing that would clearly help in the UK would to be to ban first cousin marriages. This would penalised everyone and help ensure less children with rare genetic conditions are born.

Btw boys/men get pressured and duped into marriage as well particularly if they are gay or have a disability.
                  That is a good point, its not just family riches or visa's there is the fear that the bloodline will be diluted (hmm sound familiar? I think we should fight such attitudes.)

I'm very much a fan of banning marriage or sexual relations with cousins or closer (Maybe extending the incest law?) it would be a benefit to Norfolk as well!

I hadn't really considered those with "alternate sexuality" but yes in some cultures they would be seen as "defective" and treated the same as the 10%+ that are disabled who are forced to marry.

Comment

Aren't sexual relations between people closer than cousins already outlawed under incest law?

Comment

Working...
                    X