Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned) Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12

Ddraig Goch

psychocandy - scorchio!

Default Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned)

I frequent the Disney forums. Its FULL of people who get "conned" into paying £70 for an ESTA via a dodgy site. (Its $14 on the official one).

Never ceases to amaze me how stupid the general public are. Its not hard to find out that an ESTA costs $14. If you go on a site and the total at the bottom says £70 then if you click OK then its you're problem.

OK so these sites say they're offering this as a "processing" fee but in reality they know the UK is full of stupid people.

Number of people bleating saying they're going to get a refund from credit card etc. Bad idea - the company will just cancel you're ESTA then and you'll have a nightmare getting one sorted.

Surely though its like going into kwikfit and saying "please change my brake pads", then paying £150. Then finding out you could have got the pads for £20 and done it yourself then expecting kwikfit to refund you?

I think I need a plan B that focuses on stupid people in the UK...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Well the first rule of business is to understand your market so your plan B is guaranteed to fly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Contractor Among Contractors

PhiltheGreek - scorchio!

I frequent the Disney forums.
    As the Mickey Mouse of contractors, that won't surprise anyone.

My post count is Majestic

northernladuk is always on top

Number of people bleating saying they're going to get a refund from credit card etc. Bad idea - the company will just cancel you're ESTA then and you'll have a nightmare getting one sorted...
    Are you sure you can cancel an ESTA? And why will they have a nightmare getting another sorted?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Ddraig Goch

psychocandy - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you sure you can cancel an ESTA? And why will they have a nightmare getting another sorted?
    Apparently thats whats been happening. Person cancels credit card payment, 3rd party site as the agent, cancel the esta on their behalf.

ESTAs are funny old things. If the system picks up any irregularities, even at random it seems, then it will refuse. It seems to err massively on the side of caution.

So if it sees a cancelled ESTA it may not allow a further application (its happened to people). It might work but it might not.

Then you're options are visa via us embassy which is a right PITA.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Nice But Dim

DaveB is a fount of knowledge

There are loads of sites like this, a big one in the UK is third parties booking your driving test theory exam for you and charging an extortionate fee.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

WTFH is always on top

And sites that do your passport for you, etc.

If you google EHIC, you'll find that a free card is yours for only £34 (at least 3 sites on page 1 of the google results)
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Should post faster

NCOTBAC is a permanent contractor

Apparently thats whats been happening. Person cancels credit card payment, 3rd party site as the agent, cancel the esta on their behalf.

ESTAs are funny old things. If the system picks up any irregularities, even at random it seems, then it will refuse. It seems to err massively on the side of caution.

So if it sees a cancelled ESTA it may not allow a further application (its happened to people). It might work but it might not.

Then you're options are visa via us embassy which is a right PITA.
    But the person knows they've been ripped off so then know the proper process and just do it themselves.

If people don't know how to do this then really they've got good value out of paying the extra.

I don't think you've thought this through very well.

More fingers than teeth

OwlHoot - scorchio!

Why not set up a website selling ESTAs (whatever they are? ) for £100 - Sorted!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Fingers like lightning

TheGreenBastard 's job has never been outsourced

Never ceases to amaze me how stupid the general public are. Its not hard to find out that an ESTA costs $14. If you go on a site and the total at the bottom says £70 then if you click OK then its you're problem.
    Indeed, it never ceases to amaze...