Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned) Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,125

    Default Why do people find it so hard to get an ESTA for the USA? (without getting conned)

    I frequent the Disney forums. Its FULL of people who get "conned" into paying £70 for an ESTA via a dodgy site. (Its $14 on the official one).

    Never ceases to amaze me how stupid the general public are. Its not hard to find out that an ESTA costs $14. If you go on a site and the total at the bottom says £70 then if you click OK then its you're problem.

    OK so these sites say they're offering this as a "processing" fee but in reality they know the UK is full of stupid people.

    Number of people bleating saying they're going to get a refund from credit card etc. Bad idea - the company will just cancel you're ESTA then and you'll have a nightmare getting one sorted.

    Surely though its like going into kwikfit and saying "please change my brake pads", then paying £150. Then finding out you could have got the pads for £20 and done it yourself then expecting kwikfit to refund you?

    I think I need a plan B that focuses on stupid people in the UK...
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    I think I need a plan B that focuses on stupid people in the UK...
    Well the first rule of business is to understand your market so your plan B is guaranteed to fly.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PhiltheGreek - scorchio!

    PhiltheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Balmoral
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    I frequent the Disney forums.
    As the Mickey Mouse of contractors, that won't surprise anyone.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Number of people bleating saying they're going to get a refund from credit card etc. Bad idea - the company will just cancel you're ESTA then and you'll have a nightmare getting one sorted...
    Are you sure you can cancel an ESTA? And why will they have a nightmare getting another sorted?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Ddraig Goch

    psychocandy - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Are you sure you can cancel an ESTA? And why will they have a nightmare getting another sorted?
    Apparently thats whats been happening. Person cancels credit card payment, 3rd party site as the agent, cancel the esta on their behalf.

    ESTAs are funny old things. If the system picks up any irregularities, even at random it seems, then it will refuse. It seems to err massively on the side of caution.

    So if it sees a cancelled ESTA it may not allow a further application (its happened to people). It might work but it might not.

    Then you're options are visa via us embassy which is a right PITA.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  6. #6

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,909

    Default

    There are loads of sites like this, a big one in the UK is third parties booking your driving test theory exam for you and charging an extortionate fee.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  7. #7

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,578

    Default

    And sites that do your passport for you, etc.

    If you google EHIC, you'll find that a free card is yours for only £34 (at least 3 sites on page 1 of the google results)
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #8

    Should post faster

    NCOTBAC is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Apparently thats whats been happening. Person cancels credit card payment, 3rd party site as the agent, cancel the esta on their behalf.

    ESTAs are funny old things. If the system picks up any irregularities, even at random it seems, then it will refuse. It seems to err massively on the side of caution.

    So if it sees a cancelled ESTA it may not allow a further application (its happened to people). It might work but it might not.

    Then you're options are visa via us embassy which is a right PITA.
    But the person knows they've been ripped off so then know the proper process and just do it themselves.

    If people don't know how to do this then really they've got good value out of paying the extra.

    I don't think you've thought this through very well.

  9. #9

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    I think I need a plan B that focuses on stupid people in the UK...
    Why not set up a website selling ESTAs (whatever they are? ) for £100 - Sorted!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

  10. #10

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard 's job has never been outsourced

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me how stupid the general public are. Its not hard to find out that an ESTA costs $14. If you go on a site and the total at the bottom says £70 then if you click OK then its you're problem.
    Indeed, it never ceases to amaze...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •