• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train Ticket Splitting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train Ticket Splitting

Just wondering if anyone has actually done this, and the sites to use and to avoid?

I need to have a changeable day once a week in London - I am looking for trains from Crewe to Euston which is around the £70 to £90 mark for the Virgin trains (I am not even considering the London Midland option despite it being cheap).

To book the same trains on virgin website is around £200 mark, so the prices of split ticket are very appealing.

The question is, does it actually work in practice - other than the obvious fly in the ointment about seat reservations?

It does work, but you need to be careful of the rules. I did it for a week on Open Tickets but got a train which didn't stop at Coventry (The split station).

The guard was alright with me, but did make it clear they should have charged me.

Comment

You want Matthew Somerville's split ticket finder at traintimes.org.uk: https://split.traintimes.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        You want Matthew Somerville's split ticket finder at traintimes.org.uk: https://split.traintimes.org.uk/
        My cunning test has worked, I now know who Gricerboy is.....

Thanks for the link, just what I am after. I will be using the fixed trains so no worries on the wrong ticket for the journey - perfect.

Comment

What's wrong with the London Midland trains?

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            They're slow as hell, stop at every stop and their First Class may aswell not exist. No shop, either.

I wouldn't get one to London if they paid me.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
              As just said above. Slow, stops at every lamp-post, seats are rows of 5 so cramped. Essentially a local commuter train being used for long distance. No trolley, no shop, so you cannot buy anything. Yes, they are £12 but I cannot function for the day if I use it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                As just said above. Slow, stops at every lamp-post, seats are rows of 5 so cramped. Essentially a local commuter train being used for long distance. No trolley, no shop, so you cannot buy anything. Yes, they are £12 but I cannot function for the day if I use it!
                Same experience to the two above for me as well. Coventry to London on LM? Not a chance.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have never heard of train ticket splitting before.

Dare I look this up on urban dictionary from client site?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
                    I have never heard of train ticket splitting before.

Dare I look this up on urban dictionary from client site?
                    You know Wilmslow is a splitter
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X