• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quiet day yesterday in the world...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Just go for everything he says is fake news.
    Not just him - a lot of his opponents as well, they're all at it!

Trump administration coverage
    On January 10, 2017, CNN reported on the existence of classified documents that said Russia had compromising personal and financial information about then President-elect Donald Trump. CNN did not publish the dossier, or any specific details of the dossier. Later that day, BuzzFeed published the entire 35-page dossier with a disclaimer that it was unverified and "includes some clear errors".[19][20][21] The dossier had been read widely by political and media figures in Washington, and had been sent to multiple other journalists who had declined to publish it as it was unsubstantiated.[19] At a press conference the following day, Trump referred to CNN as fake news and refused to take a question from CNN reporter Jim Acosta.[22]

On February 24, 2017, CNN and other media organizations such as The New York Times were blocked from a White House press briefing. The network responded in a statement: "Apparently this is how they retaliate when you report facts they don't like. We'll keep reporting regardless."[23]

On June 26, 2017, three network investigative journalists; Thomas Frank, Eric Lichtblau, and Lex Haris, resigned from CNN over a false story, later retracted, that connected Anthony Scaramucci to a $10 billion Russian investment fund. The network apologized to Scaramucci and stated that the online story did not meet their editorial standards.[24]

The Washington Post again fact-checked a CNN report regarding Trump on December 8, 2017: CNN ran a story that claimed two sources told the network that the Trump campaign received an email that gave Trump and his son Don Jr early access to WikiLeaks documents on September 4, 2016. CNN had not obtained the supposed September 4th email. The sender was "Michael J. Erickson", who CNN was not able to contact. The Washington Post, however, did obtain the email, which showed that the email was actually sent on the day after the hacked documents were released by WikiLeaks on September 14, 2016.[25] CNN issued a correction of their story.

The network also imposed new rules on Russia related stories being published to social, video, editorial, or MoneyStream without going through the chain of command within CNN.[26]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CNN_co...ntial_election

I think Trump likes to call them fake news and use the term a lot because it was originally intended to de-legitimize his election win. So he's taken their term and used it on them.

All fun and games...
    Last edited by Jog On; 19 July 2018, 15:03.
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      I think Trump likes to call them fake news and use the term a lot because it was originally intended to de-legitimize his election win. So he's taken their term and used it on them.

All fun and games...
      My question is: with all his claims that most media are fake news, claims which he continues to make, how many specific stories has he called out as fake news in the last 6 months?
      Or is he just saying "anyone who doesn't publish what I want them to publish is a fake news outlet"?

As for the term being used to "de-legitimize his election win", I'd be interested to know where you got that quote from.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

M
        Or is he just saying "anyone who doesn't publish what I want them to publish is a fake news outlet"?
        That's what the MSM say - if he's saying that he's lifted it from them!

As for the term being used to "de-legitimize his election win", I'd be interested to know where you got that quote from.
        It's not a quote from anywhere, it's my observation. The term 'fake news' became a thing around the same time the term 'snowflake' did - after the 2016 elections. It was used by MSM to try and establish themselves as 'real news'. It was also used by snowflakes as an excuse for why they lost and to try and nullify the result.
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          That's what the MSM say
          Of course, it all makes sense now. MSM can't be trusted so what some bloke posts on a blog must be true!

I feel so enlightened.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
          X