• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart meters - again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost count of the number of times I've refused to have one.

What really bugs me is the way they try and sell them as "energy saving".

They are no more energy saving than a normal "dumb" meter. I don't need a meter to tell me that if I leave lights on all over the house it's going to cost me more than if i switch them off.

Just another gadget for the stupid.

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
      Just another gadget for the stupid.
      Or the police state? Orwell predicted the surveillance society we're creating with intelligent gadgets able to listen and watch our every move and now capable of controlling our environment Think what fun our masters will have as they play with switching lights and appliances on and off whilst monitoring our psychological state via all the eavesdropping devices they've convinced us are required for a modern life

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        Or the police state? Orwell predicted the surveillance society we're creating with intelligent gadgets able to listen and watch our every move and now capable of controlling our environment Think what fun our masters will have as they play with switching lights and appliances on and off whilst monitoring our psychological state via all the eavesdropping devices they've convinced us are required for a modern life

(Yes, I know it's fake!)

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I was pestered to install a smart meter but refused as the first gen have issues.
          Absolutely, and there are several incompatible standards, which means you'd most likely be locked into your current (pun intended) provider!

Also, if you're a bit tardy paying your bill (and these days that means about a week after receiving it, so paranoid are they about customer debts not accumulating) they can remotely disconnect you!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Latest Generation Smart Meters make sense

I don't know how many of you have an EV, such as a Nissan Leaf, or for the more successful contractors, a Tesla, but Octopus Energy has the latest spec Smart Meters (SMETS2), which means you can get electricity super cheaply at certain times of the day.

Octopus Go | Octopus Energy

The smart tariff with super cheap electricity for 5p/kWh between 00:30 - 04:30 every night

Fill up for the tenth of the price of a traditional car with Octopus Go, and keep your fuel costs around 1p per mile

Octopus Go charge is on average over 50% cheaper than typical Economy 7 night time rates
            And then there's the techies here, who like to use home automation combined with intelligent tariffs, to run their homes at optimal cost.

Agile Octopus | Octopus Energy

Oh, and if you sign up to join Octopus Energy as a customer (on any tariff) with this link:

Octopus Referrals: Your Questions Answered | Octopus Energy

You get £50 credit to your account, and I get £50 too.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

As one has often said*, these smart meters will be well popular once there's a financial benefit for the punter having them installed. Good luck to Octopus

*Not here, to the household staff.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                I don't know how many of you have an EV, such as a Nissan Leaf, or for the more successful contractors, a Tesla, but Octopus Energy has the latest spec Smart Meters (SMETS2), which means you can get electricity super cheaply at certain times of the day.

Octopus Go | Octopus Energy

And then there's the techies here, who like to use home automation combined with intelligent tariffs, to run their homes at optimal cost.

Agile Octopus | Octopus Energy

Oh, and if you sign up to join Octopus Energy as a customer (on any tariff) with this link:

Octopus Referrals: Your Questions Answered | Octopus Energy

You get £50 credit to your account, and I get £50 too.
                Ta

super economy 7 was the obvious solution.

5p electricity to charge the storage heaters with Transco running the meters.

Just add a toslink connection outwards only to report the presence of economy 7 and the meter reading.

charge your car, tesla wall or storage heaters.

easy.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                  As one has often said*, these smart meters will be well popular once there's a financial benefit for the punter having them installed. Good luck to Octopus

*Not here, to the household staff.
                  I was given an incentive to take one with British Gas. Electricity was free for an 18 month period from 09:00 to 17:00 on a Sunday. I agreed. Trouble was, my bill didn't seem to go down and it's gone up since the free period has ended.

So, are these meters measuring usage more accurately than the old electro-mechanical meters?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                    So, are these meters measuring usage more accurately than the old electro-mechanical meters?
                    You may be sure that if it was to your advantage they wouldn't be doing it.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      You may be sure that if it was to your advantage they wouldn't be doing it.
                      agreed

Comment

Working...
                      X