• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dentist to IT contracting, thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JusticeX View Post
    I've not dabbled a bit on the internet, IT is a field that has that has always interested me and have kept up to date even whilst studying dentistry and working as a dentist. Whilst completing a work placement in oral pathology, I helped create and implement a 3D pathology software, and a workflow to generate 3D models of tissue. I also helped develop novel software for viewing virtual slides with high resolution displays. I wouldn't except people to get dentistry jobs after dabbling a bit on the internet since you have to be registered with the General Dental Council in order to practise. As far as I'm aware, there is no such regulation in place that regulates IT contractors the same way.
    The most viable approach available is to create a software based product and sell it or involve yourself in open source development. However software development isn't a quick procedure but a long slog of building layer upon layer especially if you want to avoid being just another Microsoft/Google/Oracle/... enhancement jockey. I started building a product from scratch 15 years ago and am still spending 8+ hours a day enhancing and adapting it. But the only reason its commercially successful is because I teamed up with someone else who can sell it. Making money in this game is much harder than having an original idea and the ability to produce it.

Comment

If I were you i.e. with Domain knowledge and interest in IT, I would

1. Understand the gaps in current Dentistry software
      2. Try and create one that addresses them
      3. Make it Dentist friendly (none of the developers who developed it are/were Dentists, even in a million years they will not be able to understand the need/requirements of a Dentist)
      4. Sell it/Market it

Start with a detailed design diagram and see how far you get.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm currently working as a associate dentist, but have always been quite passionate about the IT field. I chose to study dentistry over IT due to the job security dentistry brings. Being a dentist means working 9-5 more or less, so I have been able to use my free time to learn different languages (SQL, C++, Python). Everything I've learnt is from the resources available on the internet. I was wondering if this would be enough to get me a low paid contracting job? TBH, I'm not too bothered about the pay as I have been able to save up a fair about from working as a dentist (the day rate being 350-450, and not having to spend on accommodation/travel since associate contracts are long and easy to find locally). I have looked into getting a permanent role, but this would mean completely giving up on dentistry, which I do not want to do since I do enjoy being a dentist. Ideally, I would like to mix the two up, working as a dentist for a few months, and then getting a IT contract. I understand that IT is a field which is ever evolving and dynamic, but I've always wanted to experience this since I've only ever worked as a dentist. So, do you think this is something that is do-able?
        What are you trying to achieve here? Work part time in IT and part time i dentisry>?

If yes why exactly? Denistry is much more stable - Stay there

Comment

From a standing start this is just not going to happen. Low paid contracts are generally offshored and you will be competing with experienced contractors for the remaining roles. It is not impossible that you would get lucky but at those odds you are better off buying lottery tickets.

In your spare time stop doing courses and start working on open source projects. Start a big project one which is to do with dentistry so you know the domain. Keep developing a bank of good open source projects and perhaps that will give you a way in? Maybe. Not likely but if you are interested in IT you will enjoy it anyway, if you don't enjoy it then you would not have enjoyed contracting either.

Good luck
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Again no. Most contractors have many years perm experience, not work placement.
            You are a professional in a field. You wouldn't expect people to get dentistry jobs after dabbling a bit on the Internet. Why on earth do you think IT contracting is any different?
            Because IT is unregulated.

You're more likely to pick up some freelance jobs than contracting roles, this much is true. Of course if you could find someone wanting to make dental software you could be OK.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Jack Kada View Post
              What are you trying to achieve here? Work part time in IT and part time i dentisry>?

If yes why exactly? Denistry is much more stable - Stay there
              He already said money wasn't the driver here.

I'm with what a few others said - if you have time and don't have to work 5 days a week then create something in the evenings and in between dental gigs. Way more fun to make your own product.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've not dabbled a bit on the internet, IT is a field that has that has always interested me and have kept up to date even whilst studying dentistry and working as a dentist. Whilst completing a work placement in oral pathology, I helped create and implement a 3D pathology software, and a workflow to generate 3D models of tissue. I also helped develop novel software for viewing virtual slides with high resolution displays. I wouldn't except people to get dentistry jobs after dabbling a bit on the internet since you have to be registered with the General Dental Council in order to practise. As far as I'm aware, there is no such regulation in place that regulates IT contractors the same way.
                Which is the biggest problem with both the IT contractors and even more so with the recruiters.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X