• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Might need to re-think the next CUK(western section) meeting location

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't take very long on the French motorway network to realise we have got it very wrong over here.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      My main requirement of a motorway service station: Does it have a toilet I can use without picking up any communicable diseases.

If it does, I'm mostly happy.
      If it's also got a grassy area where I can let The Dog (tw) out safely for a wee, even better.
      I obviously have higher expectations. It would be nice to get something to eat without having to sell a kidney to fund it. It would be nice to be able to put some fuel in the car without being stung for fuel that's about 15p per litre more expensive than anywhere else.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        It doesn't take very long on the French motorway network to realise we have got it very wrong over here.
        Indeed!

Steak & Frites - steak cooked while you wait, all with a nice glass of red wine.

Most civilised!
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I prefer the setup in the US. Signs that tell you what places are available at each junction and you take your pick. I remember hearing something that the fear was that the services could be the destination if they became too good. Well the certainly succeeded in avoiding that!
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
            I prefer the setup in the US. Signs that tell you what places are available at each junction and you take your pick. I remember hearing something that the fear was that the services could be the destination if they became too good. Well the certainly succeeded in avoiding that!
            You can do similar over here if you plan it. For example, northbound M5, hop off at Tiverton, up the A38, call in at the 17th Century Hotel & Restaurant for a meal, fuel up at the Shell petrol station at Chelston roundabout and back on the M5 at Wellington.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
              I obviously have higher expectations. It would be nice to get something to eat without having to sell a kidney to fund it. It would be nice to be able to put some fuel in the car without being stung for fuel that's about 15p per litre more expensive than anywhere else.
              For those things, I wouldn't use a service station, but probably look at an app such as AroundMe (for various types of places), PetrolPrices for fuel prices, etc.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
              X