Does one IR35-caught role predispose HMR&C to assume all roles are? Does one IR35-caught role predispose HMR&C to assume all roles are? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a sarcastic/witty comment or something isn't it?
    Genuinely not. That information came from an agency, but they did quote "HMRC Guidance bulltulip" which they interpreted as they were not allowed to make payments to a ltd in respect of a public sector contract.
    I didn't have the patience to follow that up, the rate wasn't worth the bother, but if HMRC were distributing that crap to all agencies, I would've thought most would just fall in line, and it becomes the de-facto norm.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,506

    Default

    Wow...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wow...
    So how wrong am I then?
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  4. #14

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    So how wrong am I then?
    Read the IR35 sections of the forums.
    It's mentioned plenty in various posts
    It's all over the contractor news
    It's mentuoned endlessly on LinkedIn.
    Speak to fellow contractors about what's happening in your profession.

    I'm staggered you don't know more than this at this point.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #15

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Read the IR35 sections of the forums.
    It's mentioned plenty in various posts
    It's all over the contractor news
    It's mentuoned endlessly on LinkedIn.
    Speak to fellow contractors about what's happening in your profession.

    I'm staggered you don't know more than this at this point.
    I'm happy to plead guilty, but only on the basis that I now ignore the public sector as a potential revenue stream, because no bugger with an ounce of sense will go near it given the current climate, unless the rate is c.50% in one's favour. I take it I'm wrong on the brolly point, I'm only going by what I was told (and coming from an agency source, I should have assumed it was basically bollox).
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk is always on top

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,506

    Default

    How can you come to that conclusion when, by your own admittance, you know nothing about what is happening?

    You are aware it nearly hit the private sector and there is a lot of working going in to fighting it?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    How can you come to that conclusion when, by your own admittance, you know nothing about what is happening?

    You are aware it nearly hit the private sector and there is a lot of working going in to fighting it?
    Fair comment, I binned the public sector when the new rules came out, and I asked an innocent (or maybe only slightly innocent) question. You've made your point.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  8. #18

    More fingers than teeth

    OwlHoot - scorchio!

    OwlHoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    And by rights they shouldn't be taking an interest. You are assessing the role and paying the correct tax. ...

    But we are talking about HMRC here.
    Exactly! They think like blackmailers, or Morton's Fork - "If they're readily paying up then they can be paying more!"
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •