• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does one IR35-caught role predispose HMR&C to assume all roles are?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    That's a sarcastic/witty comment or something isn't it?
    Genuinely not. That information came from an agency, but they did quote "HMRC Guidance bulltulip" which they interpreted as they were not allowed to make payments to a ltd in respect of a public sector contract.
    I didn't have the patience to follow that up, the rate wasn't worth the bother, but if HMRC were distributing that crap to all agencies, I would've thought most would just fall in line, and it becomes the de-facto norm.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Wow...
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Wow...
        So how wrong am I then?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          So how wrong am I then?
          Read the IR35 sections of the forums.
          It's mentioned plenty in various posts
          It's all over the contractor news
          It's mentuoned endlessly on LinkedIn.
          Speak to fellow contractors about what's happening in your profession.

I'm staggered you don't know more than this at this point.

Comment

Read the IR35 sections of the forums.
            It's mentioned plenty in various posts
            It's all over the contractor news
            It's mentuoned endlessly on LinkedIn.
            Speak to fellow contractors about what's happening in your profession.

I'm staggered you don't know more than this at this point.
            I'm happy to plead guilty, but only on the basis that I now ignore the public sector as a potential revenue stream, because no bugger with an ounce of sense will go near it given the current climate, unless the rate is c.50% in one's favour. I take it I'm wrong on the brolly point, I'm only going by what I was told (and coming from an agency source, I should have assumed it was basically bollox).

Comment

How can you come to that conclusion when, by your own admittance, you know nothing about what is happening?

You are aware it nearly hit the private sector and there is a lot of working going in to fighting it?

Comment

How can you come to that conclusion when, by your own admittance, you know nothing about what is happening?

You are aware it nearly hit the private sector and there is a lot of working going in to fighting it?
                Fair comment, I binned the public sector when the new rules came out, and I asked an innocent (or maybe only slightly innocent) question. You've made your point.

Comment

And by rights they shouldn't be taking an interest. You are assessing the role and paying the correct tax. ...

But we are talking about HMRC here.
                  Exactly! They think like blackmailers, or Morton's Fork - "If they're readily paying up then they can be paying more!"
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                  X