• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Corbyn says summit sensible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Typical white male privilege speaking there.

They're on a bout thin privilege as well now.

Maybe it's time to switch sides over to the pro-WW3 crowd and just get it over and done with. I can't see much hope for our species anymore...
    Morons like this don't help:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44937372
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Yet when Trump does that, he's a racist, protectionist moron. Hmmm.

Funny lot these lefties, like how they advocate freedom of speech, so long as they agree with what you say.
      Trump wants to stop US companies from outsourcing. He has said that minimum wages are too high, and that business owners should pay less tax.
      He wants to tax imports. He wants to scrap free trade deals. His concerns are all about company profits.
      Problem is, if he taxes raw materials, then it pushes up the prices for the local companies.

I don't believe that Corbyn has called for tariffs to be applied to foreign-produced goods and raw materials, and he's not calling for the scrapping of free trade deals, he's also not complained about lowering minimum wages or decreasing taxes on the top 1% of earners. His concerns are about workers and their rights.
      But apart from that, there's lots of similarities. Both have had talks with terrorists, but only Corbyn gets lambasted for that. Both think NATO needs to be looked at again (for different reasons).
      I guess the biggest similarity is that both are incapable of running a country successfully. Corbyn's not had the chance to prove that yet, though.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        ... he's a racist, protectionist moron. Hmmm....
        To be fair there are people, even within the Labour party who call Corbyn that.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Trump wants to stop US companies from outsourcing. He has said that minimum wages are too high, and that business owners should pay less tax.
          He wants to tax imports. He wants to scrap free trade deals. His concerns are all about company profits.
          Problem is, if he taxes raw materials, then it pushes up the prices for the local companies.

I don't believe that Corbyn has called for tariffs to be applied to foreign-produced goods and raw materials, and he's not calling for the scrapping of free trade deals, he's also not complained about lowering minimum wages or decreasing taxes on the top 1% of earners. His concerns are about workers and their rights.
          But apart from that, there's lots of similarities. Both have had talks with terrorists, but only Corbyn gets lambasted for that. Both think NATO needs to be looked at again (for different reasons).
          I guess the biggest similarity is that both are incapable of running a country successfully. Corbyn's not had the chance to prove that yet, though.
          Really? Trump got called out on that.
          He also got called out on his relationship with Putin. He replied with a pretty damning brief about the Clintons and their relationship to Putin's administration.

People don't like The Donald™ because he does what he said he'll do and says it as it is. In the modern era, you're not meant to offend people and the world's gone soft and too tolerant because of that.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Public contracts already go to U.K. companies *where possible*. Where they don’t, perhaps UK companies should be more competitive on price or quality.
            A foreign company may provide a lower bid because they are more experienced and efficient but the upfront cost is not the real cost. Giving the contract to a UK company has many benefits to our economy - more employment for British workers, less need for welfare, more skill and experience gained by our workforce, more taxes received and the potential to grow more efficient and competitive businesses.

I am certainly not in favour of supporting very inefficient UK companies that are unlikely to improve but I wonder if all the above factors are taken into account when decisions are made.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 25 July 2018, 14:25.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              All going swimmingly: https://www.ft.com/content/21051570-...9-7680cedcc421
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-jeremy-corbyn

Going back to what Labour used to be in the 70s, a party that put British workers first!
                So presumably you think that other countries should avoid buying British where possible.

Comment

A foreign company may provide a lower bid because they are more experienced and efficient but the upfront cost is not the real cost. Giving the contract to a UK company has many benefits to our economy - more employment for British workers, less need for welfare, more skill and experience gained by our workforce, more taxes received and the potential to grow more efficient and competitive businesses.

I am certainly not in favour of supporting very inefficient UK companies that are unlikely to improve but I wonder if all the above factors are taken into account when decisions are made.
                  Probably not.

Government departments need to fight to justify their budget spend and to “prove” they have received the best value for money that they can. The trade off is that public services overall may cost more.

That’s probably a trade off that many people would be prepared to make and perhaps the pendulum has swung too far towards cheapness over local - much of that can be squarely laid at the Tories with their “market forces” philosophy.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-jeremy-corbyn

Going back to what Labour used to be in the 70s, a party that put British workers first!
                    Most British workers spent the 70s gathered round a brazier outside a state-owned factory which was losing money on everything it made.
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      To be fair there are people, even within the Labour party who call Corbyn that.
                      Bloody Corbyn, inventing anti-Semitism.

We should go back to the good old days before anti-Semitism existed in the labour party, when Margaret Hodge could cheer the physical manhandling and removal of a jewish holocaust survivor from the party conference.
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X