• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This is a true hero...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    She was one of 1,230 pilots
    1152 of which were men.

Like I said nothing remarkable, unless you mean she was special because she could do the job of a man, which would be patronising as lots of women were flying aeroplanes before WW2.
    Don't be disingenuous. She's special because she showed up their outdated idea of what women could and couldn't do.

Anyway, well done you for trying to reduce a dead woman to nothing. I hope you're very proud. Maybe you'll do something interesting enough to get your own CUK thread when you die.
    Last edited by vwdan; 26 July 2018, 15:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
      There were plenty of Women pilots.
      Hardly. While women have certainly been around since the early days of flight, to pretend there were "plenty" is absolute crap. Most were relegated to small aircraft and barnstorming etc.

I can't be arsed to spend hours researching, but women were barely allowed in the cockpits of commercial aircraft until the late 30's. The First American CAPTAIN wasn't until the 70's (No idea what the British one was).

Yet here these women were flying all sorts of types that simply would have been out of the question elsehwere.

WWII was a pivotal moment for women in all sorts of fields - aviation being one of them, and the girls of the ATA were part of that.

I bet you're one of these who think women have had equality since they got the vote, aren't you.
      Last edited by vwdan; 26 July 2018, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

Anyway, well done you for trying to reduce a dead woman to nothing. I hope you're very proud.
        Gibbon obviously has a deep-rooted inferiority complex since he was peeling potatoes in the RAF mess and resented all the glamour attached to pilots.

Although I still think your use of "tragic" was wrong though. An amazing lady who had a wonderful long life is not tragic.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

And as for not being a 'Celeb' you have lost the meaning of celebrating.

Comment

1152 of which were men.

Don't be disingenuous. She's special because she showed up their outdated idea of what women could and couldn't do.

Anyway, well done you for trying to reduce a dead woman to nothing. I hope you're very proud. Maybe you'll do something interesting enough to get your own CUK thread when you die.
            And so did ten of thousands of other women in WWII.

And I never reduced her to nothing, in-fact I praised her along with her generation of whom the majority rose to the occasion. To say in context she wasn't remarkable is not reducing her; but the fact remains if she had died in the sixties - eighties it would have passed unnoticed, only her longevity has bestowed 'remarkable' upon her.

And another thing, being praised by Martin Nicholls is like being praised by SAS, in fact I doubt SAS has ever been such a cluster feck as Nicholls.

People like you who've never served get far too sentimental over it. There are very few true heroes, most of us just got on with what we had to do.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Gibbon obviously has a deep-rooted inferiority complex since he was peeling potatoes in the RAF mess and resented all the glamour attached to pilots.

Although I still think your use of "tragic" was wrong though. An amazing lady who had a wonderful long life is not tragic.
              I never got that promotion, I was kept at sluice bucket operative.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Another example

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...ay-one-5635845

My paternal grandfather was a dispatch rider on D-Day, where was his press release when he died of an ulcer in 1998. See what I mean, longevity bestows a distorted heroism on folk who did a 'normal' wartime job.

Comment

And so did ten of thousands of other women in WWII.
                  Yes, they did. But we can't remember each and every single achievement - so is the answer to forget them all, at risk of offending somebody?

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  People like you who've never served get far too sentimental over it. There are very few true heroes, most of us just got on with what we had to do.
                  Nothing to do with service for me, I'm all about the aviation.

Comment

If 10% of femal pilots dies during the war then I take back my sarcastic delivery girl remark. Braver than me.

Comment

Yes, they did. But we can't remember each and every single achievement - so is the answer to forget them all, at risk of offending somebody?

Nothing to do with service for me, I'm all about the aviation.
                      When did I say I was offended? Merely pointed out she was one of many brave women which in its self was not remarkable in the times.

We remember them all every year. I just don't believe that longevity should be a criteria for national eulogy when she was one among an multitude of brave women.

What's your connection with aviation then? Do you fly or engineer?

Comment

Working...
                      X